Chapter 67

Elysia's POV:

No, he didn't!

Please!

I recalled every time I called him names, cursed him under my breath, and even mimicked punching him behind his back.

Then I remembered his mocking eyes and snide remarks in his office, piling me with work whenever I called him bipolar?!

Yep, he definitely saw me, and not just see, but also retorted quite generously.

"Cat got your tongue, Mrs. Knight?" Ares quipped, his voice dripping with cockiness. My breath hitched at his smug expression, his gaze fixed on me with one eyebrow raised.

'You are doomed, Elysia Lawson!' a voice whispered helplessly in my head.

"And..." My eyes darted between his, widening in shock as he leaned closer, his smirk growing wider as he neared my ear and continued, "Do you think I didn't notice how you sneak glances at me while I work?"

I gasped audibly, my eyes widening further if it was even possible when he added, "Or how you stare at me when I'm not looking...?"

His serious yet amused gaze bore into mine, his face just inches away from mine, arms resting on the table, and his foot still holding my chair in place.

Heat flooded my cheeks, panic and embarrassment coursing through me. "I-I didn't. You're mistaken," I argued weakly, averting my gaze and inching away in my chair, overwhelmed by his closeness and the scent of his cologne.

"Oh, is that so?" Ares mocked, raising an eyebrow. "No worries... I have not only video evidence but a good memory as well." His tone was matter-of-fact. "I could recount the number of times I caught you in the act, the exact moment, the exact expression—"

Before he could finish, I impulsively covered his mouth with my palm. Ares froze, his voice trailing off as surprise replaced his expression, his gaze locked with mine.

Unconsciously, I found myself staring back at him, lost into those light brown eyes. An old, yet familiar sensation stirred within me, a few shared moments of us in the school danced in my mind, leaving me feeling oddly fuzzy inside.

The days we used to study together in the library...

The times he walked me to the bus stop with my bag slung over his shoulder...

When we were friends in school...

When we used to talk and laugh together...

Those fleeting moments of us when I was happy, truly happy...

It wasn't until I felt the softness of Ares' lips against my palm, where it rested over his mouth, that I snapped back to reality.

Gasping, I quickly withdrew my hand, tingles lingering where his lips had touched. A genuine smile spread across his face; the same sincere, carefree, soft smile he used to give me in our school when we were still friends. My cheeks warmed up faintly as I averted my gaze, unable to meet his eyes.

"Hm..." Ares took a deep breath, running a hand through his hair, a grin playing on his lips. "What a lovely weather it is today..." he mused quietly, the smile never leaving his face.

"It was cold when..." Instinctively, I glanced out of the restaurant window, my words trailing off. The weather hadn't changed since we arrived, still dry and cold...

He finds this weather nice?!

Returning my gaze to Ares, I found him already looking back at me. I bit my lip, my smile widening in response.