Chapter 42

Past - 24

Ares Simon's POV:

Closing the door, I walked towards the bed, each step growing heavier until I almost collapsed onto it.

Sven Damaris!

Elysia Lawson!

Are they... together?!

His words from a few days ago swirled continuously in my head, making it impossible to concentrate.

Even if they were dating, what does it have to do with me?

Who cares whom she chooses to be with...

"Argh!" I sat up on the bed in frustration, running my hands through my hair.

My head was starting to ache, the persistent headache intensifying over the past few months.

"Why am I thinking of her again...?" I muttered in exhaustion, falling back on the bed and massaging my temples.

Elysia Lawson had been in my head constantly, and now it was becoming exhausting, almost guilt-inducing.

I chose to be with Aubrey, to give my Illuma the chance she deserved, but I couldn't follow through. I felt like I was going insane. How could I think of another girl when I already had a girlfriend?

How could I even look at anyone other than Aubrey?

This was so wrong...!

I tried my best to keep Elysia out of my view, never looking at her, never searching for her. Yet, my body seemed to react on its own whenever she was around.

Since I started seriously dating Aubrey, I made an effort to be there for her, but I couldn't bring myself to truly accept her as my girlfriend or love her.

I don't even know what love is anymore...

I thought I loved my Illuma, but it wasn't!

I know Aubrey is nice, but my heart doesn't respond to her. No matter how hard I try, I just can't...

A ringing phone pulled me out of my reverie. Glancing at the screen, I sighed, seeing Aubrey's name flashing on it.

Sitting up, I answered the call. "Yes, Aubrey?" I spoke in my usual tone.

"Ares, can you please come to my home? I need your help," Aubrey's panicked voice came through the earpiece, confusing me.

"What's wrong?" I asked. It was almost evening, and I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to visit her home at this time. Besides, I was exhausted after a full day in school, dealing with rumors about Sven and Elysia, and then office work and studying through a pile of files.

"Ares, just please come; it's very important. I'm waiting for you," Aubrey said, her voice sounding genuinely concerned, and she hung up after that.

I looked at the screen blankly, eyebrows furrowed, contemplating whether I should go or not. Aubrey's message appeared next, attaching the location of her home.

She seemed really worried!

Maybe I should check; it's my responsibility...

Heaving a sigh, I stood up and grabbed my car keys, heading out.

*****************

Entering the mansion, I looked around, searching for Aubrey. Her butler gestured towards the living room, and I followed.

"Elysia, please listen, it's not good for you. Those things are going to destroy you," my steps halted hearing Elysia's name.

Was she here?