Chapter 47

Elysia's POV:

"Shut up, Elysia," Ares spoke, his deep voice gentle yet firm. My body froze at his words, not moving an inch from my spot, the air between us thick with unspoken tension.

He was close, dangerously close; hovering over me. Just an inch of movement, and his lips would touch my nose.

I could feel his minty breath on my cheeks, his familiar musk scent tingling my nostrils. His eyes were fixed on my forehead, but the proximity and warmth sent shivers down my spine. Mixed emotions surged within me, and I was on the verge of fainting.

It was Ares' kindness that made my heart beat for him for the first time. Those few years of secretly following him allowed me to witness the real Ares. He would stop in the streets, helping people, even if it was an exhausted old man or kids fighting. He'd sit with them, provide company, talk and laugh, help with anything he could, resolve issues, and leave quietly without seeking credit.

That's when I realized Ares helping me the day I was bullied in school was nothing but kindness. It took me years to make myself understand that showing kindness isn't love. Yet, here he was again, stirring up everything I'm trying to bury.

"Does it hurt?" I looked up, hearing his voice, locking eyes with his intense warm ones. My eyes slightly widened, feeling a jolt of electricity passing through my body when I felt him stroking my jaw with his thumb.

"No," I answered in a daze. Feeling his touch was like a dream for me, and the way he looked at me made my heart flip crazily.

I noticed his eyes turning into a darker shade of brown as his gaze shifted to my parted lips, then back to my eyes, as if searching my soul.

Why... is he looking at me like that?

I had never seen this kind of look in his eyes. It was unfamiliar, yet I felt something I had never experienced before, like my whole body was on fire.

This was not right. He is an engaged man; he is committed to someone else and shouldn't be like this to others.

As this thought crossed my mind, I abruptly turned my face away and stood up. Ares seemed surprised by my sudden movement as he straightened, blinking a few times. I wanted to move away from him, but his legs were still on both sides of my chair, holding it, which he didn't even bother to move.

"T-thank you, sir. I'm, I'm fine now," I stammered, extremely bothered by his closeness.

Even while standing, I couldn't move an inch. He was almost sitting on my table, but still, I was just leveling with his chin, looking anywhere but him.

My hands were clutching my clothes. I didn't even have enough space to raise my hands, afraid they would land on his chest.

"I swear, Elysia, if you say 'sir' again..." My eyes snapped to him, observing his now pissed expressions and clenched jaw.

"S-sorry, Mr. Knight!" I blurted out.

Ares' lips parted, glaring at me. "Seriously?" If he was pissed before, then he was absolutely mad now.

What did I do now?

"You, you're my boss." I responded as a matter of fact. What else does he expect me to call him if not sir or Mr. Knight?

"Do you know that there are billions of nerves in a human body, and miraculously, you manage to get on every single one of them." Ares responded through gritted teeth, standing up from the table.

'What doesn't get on your nerves, you jerk?' I wanted to bite back but shut my mouth when I noticed his glare. If looks could kill, I would be six feet under the ground at this moment.