Chapter 61

Elysia's POV:

My heart constricted painfully at the sight of his disheveled appearance.

His biker jacket hung open, revealing a black t-shirt beneath. Dark grey eyes, bloodshot and weary, met mine. His hair was a complete mess, nose was red, probably due to staying in cold for long.

Staring back at me, Sven's lips were tightly pursed, his jaws clenched firmly. Blinking repeatedly, his eyes grew even redder before he briefly averted his gaze. A lump formed in my throat as tears welled up, witnessing the clear agony in his eyes.

When his gaze returned to mine, I noticed the unmistakable tears in his eyes, piercing my heart. His voice, barely above a whisper, reached me.

"Sorry..." he mumbled in a hoarse voice, his eyebrows furrowed, casting a helpless gaze my way. I have never seen him like this, he looked almost vulnerable, as if he were lost, with no clear way out.

Words caught in my throat, rendering me speechless, as tears threatened to spill. I swallowed the lump in my throat and managed only a subtle nod, conveying that I wasn't upset with him at all.

Sven inhaled sharply before swallowing, as a tear leaked from the corner of his eye. In the next moment, he moved swiftly, taking long strides towards me. Before I knew it, he had enveloped me in a tight embrace, just making me realize that his body was trembling.

His arm encircled my shoulders while his other hand gently rested on my hair, and I felt his chin resting on the top of my head. My cheek rested on his chest, as the familiar scent of rosewood enveloped me.

Placing my hands on his back, I softly patted in a reassuring manner, sensing him sniffling. Tears slipped from my eyes, falling and absorbing into his shirt, knowing well that he, too, was shedding tears.

"Silly, I'm not mad at all," I mumbled, responding to his earlier apology, my voice heavy with tears. "I'm also very sorry for everything."

I felt him nodding as he spoke, "Beastie told me everything about what happened. It's not your fault," Sven responded, his embrace tightening around me.

Slowly, he released me, looking down with a somber gaze. I sniffled and remarked lightheartedly, "You've lost weight. Do they not give you good food in the States?"

An immediate chuckle escaped his lips as he wiped his eyes, and replied, "You're Sandra's daughter indeed." His response brought a wide smile to my face as I hastily wiped my eyes.

"I'm sorry for not telling you everything," I added seriously. "Mom was worried that you'd be in trouble again and about Ares—"

Before I could finish, Sven interjected with a small smile, "I'm only forgiving you for this." He gestured towards the dishes of pasta and rice on the table.

A chuckle escaped my lips as I playfully slapped his arm. My gaze then shifted to Esme standing a few steps away, arms folded across her chest, wearing a soft smile while observing us.

Sven followed my gaze, his smile widening. He winked at me and stepped towards Esme, raising his eyebrows. As Esme met his gaze, she raised an eyebrow in a warning stare.

"Don't even think about it, Damaris," she declared, her voice maintaining its usual coldness, yet carrying the familiar hint of softness that she only reserved for us.

Sven, like always, disregarded her words and immediately enveloped her in a tight hug, giving her a playful swirl, making me laugh heartily at Esme's scowl.

As soon as he put her down, Esme stomped her foot on his, causing him to exclaim in pain. He looked at me, pointing accusingly at her, while holding his foot with other hand, a familiar complaint etched on his face.