Chapter 62

Elysia's POV:

Why is he staring at the locket?

I glanced back and forth between them and decided to intervene before things could escalate.

Turning towards Sven, who was busy glaring at Ares, I nudged his arm to get his attention. "I was going to the hospital. Is Esme up?" I asked.

Sven shifted his gaze back to me; anger was evident in his eyes, but he calmed down and replied, "No, she is still sleeping. Give me a minute; I'll bring my keys and take you to the hospital—"

"There will be no need for that. I'm here to take her," Ares interjected, his voice colder than I had ever heard.

Sven's firing glare instantly shifted to him as he responded in a sarcastic and taunting voice, "Playing house with someone you schemed to marry, Knight?"

My eyebrows furrowed at Sven's words and his tone. I know they hate each other, but...

I felt Ares' gaze shift towards me, but I was too busy processing Sven's words to notice his expressions.

"Do you think I would explain it to you?" Ares retorted in an equally hostile manner, adding, "I don't give a damn about what you think of it. I'm here to take my wife to the hospital, just as it should be..." He emphasized the last statement, his expressions seeming icy and dark.

"The wife you didn't have the guts to confront until she signed papers without knowing she was marrying you?" Sven retorted back in the same sarcastic and taunting voice, the corner of his lips twitching slightly into a mocking smirk.

Standing near them, I felt chills in my arms and body because of the hostile aura they both were exuding.

Why does it seem so familiar?

I hated when they talked about me like I wasn't here. My eyes narrowed slightly; I didn't want this just at the start of the morning. I needed to check on Mom and look after her. I heaved a silent sigh before opening my mouth to speak, turning both of their attention towards me.

"Sven, you go back inside. And, Mr. Knight, I need to talk to you," I stated firmly. Both of their heads snapped towards me in shock, lips slightly parted and eyebrows raised.

They didn't expect me to interfere like this... Well, neither did I...

"Why should I go inside? He should go back," Sven was the first to speak, his jaw clenched. The expressions on his face were enough for me to know that he was pissed.

Ares stayed silent. My gaze flickered to him for a second, and in that moment, my heart skipped a beat, noticing that he was mad. He definitely seemed angrier than I had ever seen him before, but his lips were tightly shut without saying a word.

"Sven..." I fixed him with a glare, meaning no arguments right now. He glared back at me for a couple of minutes before averting his gaze and letting out a few curses under his breath, turning his back on me. He walked towards the building with long strides, not looking back once.

I sighed, watching his back. They both were giving me a real headache. Turning towards Ares, I saw his gaze already fixed on me, his lips pressed into a thin line and jaw clenched.

Subconsciously, I looked away, not knowing what to say now that we were alone, and he was in front of me.

But I thought I needed to clear things about Sven. The appearance he just saw Sven in could give him a very wrong signal, and I did not want him to misunderstand me in any way.

I cleared my throat, trying to maintain my composure, and spoke, "Um, Sven and I—"

"If you are worried that I would misunderstand your relationship with him, you can relax. I would rather believe the earth is flat than believe that Elysia Lawson could be insincere to anyone. You wouldn't have agreed to marry a stranger if that was the case." He interjected, his tone wasn't soft, but it wasn't cold either.