Chapter 41

Past - 23

Third Party's POV:

Elysia discreetly casted a pleading glance towards Dean Lawson, who had just entered the living room with a tray in his hands. He reciprocated with a subtle wink, distributing steaming mugs of hot chocolate to each of them before turning his attention to Sandra.

"Honey, they're just kids. Spare them this time. They won't be pulling stunts like this in winter again, right kids?" Dean gently held Sandra's shoulders, soothing her with a slow rub on her arms, and quickly spoke in their defense.

The trio, previously engrossed in their hot chocolate, turned their attention to Dean and obediently nodded. However, they exchanged furtive glances, suppressing the laughter that nearly escaped at the sight of each other's crimson noses, damp hair, and towels wrapped around their faces, lending them a comical appearance.

"Yes, kids!" Sandra crossed her arms, adopting a scolding tone, though her expressions softened. "They are going to be eighteen in a while, and you keep defending them. They could get sick; it's winter," she admonished, giving them a maternal glare.

Sven and Esme shared a small smile, accustomed to the motherly scolding they received since meeting Elysia's parents. Dean and Sandra treated them like their own, making them feel more at home than their own houses.

Suddenly, a small sneeze echoed in the living room, drawing everyone's attention to Elysia, the most likely candidate to catch a cold.

What better way to melt a mother's anger than through the innocent expressions of her children? And of course, Elysia wasn't going to miss this opportunity.

Elysia seized the opportunity, pulling her sweetest face, eliciting chuckles from everyone. Sandra pursed her lips to stifle a smile, but it was evident she wasn't angry anymore.

Setting their mugs aside, Elysia stood up, wrapped in her blanket cocoon, and hurried into her mom's arms. A chuckle escaped Sandra as she and Elysia extended their arms to include Esme and Sven.

With wide smiles, they embraced each other warmly, each wrapped in their own blankets. Sven protectively circled his arms around them, while Dean enveloped them all in a comforting bear hug.

Some moments may seem ordinary, but they hold great value, and their true value is recognized only by those who understand their significance. At that moment, although they were emersed in that warm environment, holding radiant smiles on their faces, they still held onto it firmly, preserving that experience in the beautiful memories of their hearts...

******************

"Want some?" Brey extended a hand, offering a cigarette to Sven. Sven shook his head, retrieving Elysia's lunchbox and placing it aside.

The evening breeze swept across the rooftop, as they both sat on their usual comfortable spot on a wide wall, legs casually dangling over the edge.

"You still haven't stopped stealing her lunchboxes. Are you a kid?" Brey remarked as Sven took a bread roll from the box, ignoring the comment and unwrapping the roll.

When Brey tried to take a second roll, Sven promptly grabbed the box, placing it on his other side, and pulled out a chocolate bar from his pocket, offering it to Brey.

"You're stingy," Brey commented, taking the chocolate nevertheless. Sven nonchalantly shrugged, munching on the bread roll.

Stingy? When it came to Elysia's things; yes, he was!

"So, how do you recall this forgotten friend?" Brey asked, with a hint of sulking. Sven chuckled at Brey's tone.

"Feeling lonely?" he playfully inquired, raising an eyebrow.