Chapter 23

Past - 6

Ares Simon's POV:

I stood by the entrance of the school's main building, my gaze fixed on the students passing by, awaiting her arrival. I took a moment to look at the picture on the library card she had dropped, right next to her name.

Elysia Dean Lawson!

I had tried to return that card to her, but the opportunity never seemed to present itself. I don't know if it was just my imagination or what, but I felt like she was avoiding me.

"It can't be?" I mumbled, finding that thought absolutely ridiculous, considering that we were practically strangers.

But then...?

Could it be her?!

I narrowed my eyes, studying her features once more, especially her eyes. Over the past few days, I had scrutinized her face so many times that her features were etched into my memory.

Returning the card could have been a straightforward task, but I had a burning question I needed to ask her. That day, one year ago, might have been insignificant to some, but to me, it held great importance. I wanted to meet the girl who had saved me, even if just for a brief encounter, so I could express my gratitude. It was merely a glimpse of her, but the memory was vivid.

A Year Ago...

"Mom, I'm leaving!" I called out and slung my bag over my shoulder.

"Ares! Can't you take the car today? It's just for a day until your bike gets fixed," my mom pleaded, her voice tinged with concern. She had never been a fan of me biking or taking the bus to school, especially since we moved in with Grandpa. Despite her concerns, I felt more comfortable biking or taking the bus than the family car.

"It's alright, Mom! I prefer not taking the car to school. Besides, I feel like walking today," I reassured her, offering a smile and bidding goodbye before leaving our mansion.

It hadn't been long since my mom revealed the astonishing news to me that I had a grandfather named Alfredo Knight and we were relocating to his house.

I wasn't accustomed to having anyone else around besides my mom. From a young age, I had watched her struggle to provide for both of us, working multiple jobs. All I had ever wanted was to grow up quickly and earn enough money so that she could finally have some rest. However, things had changed drastically. Since my grandfather entered our lives, my mom had been happier than ever before. I couldn't recall the last time I had seen her this happy.

My mom explained that there had been conflicts between her and her father in the past, which had led to their estrangement. Now, they had reconciled and forgiven each other. I liked my grandpa, but getting used to all these changes would take time.

I had always found it a bit difficult to adapt to new environments and surroundings, but seeing my mom so content with my grandpa made me believe it was all for the best. I just needed some more time to adjust to my new identity and the transformations happening around us.

That's one of the reasons I hadn't taken the car to school, except when my mom picked me up. I felt comfortable with my bicycle, and walking was no big deal either. After all, the school wasn't too far away.

I stood by the roadside, hands in my pockets, patiently waiting for the traffic signal to turn red. Lost in my thoughts, a sudden message notification interrupted my reverie. I reached for my phone and saw messages from both Mom and Maron. Mom informed me that she'd be picking me up from school later, with no excuses accepted. I smiled and replied with a simple "okay," then proceeded to check Maron's message.