Chapter 46

Ares Simon's POV:

Leaning forward on the couch with elbows on my knees, I clasped my hands together, gaze tracking Maron's restless pacing. Annoyed, I unbuttoned my coat, tossing it onto the couch, and reclined against the cushions, arms crossed over my chest.

"Stop the pacing; it's annoying," I stated sternly, watching Maron as he stopped and settled on the couch across from me, still caught in his tumultuous thoughts. Suddenly, he blurted, "What if she doesn't even care about you anymore?"

"As if she did before?" I responded sarcastically, but an unexpected unease settled in my chest at his words, but I quickly hushed that feeling away.

If she did care, she wouldn't have concealed the truth about Aubrey from me.

Maron scoffed, "Well, that serves you right anyway. You think I don't know what you've been doing for the past few weeks since she came to work here?" I scowled, defending myself, "I was just showing you that Elysia isn't what she looks like—"

"Don't drag me into your attempts to stalk her. You knew very well she isn't that kind of a person. You just created a reason to justify your actions, while in reality, you just wanted to grab her attention," Maron mocked.

"That's not true," I retorted sharply.

"Yeah, then what's this?" He pointed at my hands, and I realized I'd been absentmindedly rubbing my stubble and immediately stopped my hand. Loosening my tie and unbuttoning my shirt's top three buttons, I ran my fingers through my disheveled hair.

"Don't deny that Elysia Lawson still has an effect on you," Maron declared. Frowning, I listened as he continued, "First love isn't easily forgettable—"

"Elysia Lawson isn't my first love, and if you say that again, you can submit your resignation letter," I cut in firmly, jaw clenched.

Maron huffed, muttering something under his breath, which I chose to ignore.

"Why are you bothered if she's working fine?" he questioned.

I lifted my head to meet his gaze. "She's not just working fine. She avoids eye contact, speaks only about work, leaves right after hours, and doesn't bring me coffee anymore."

"Maybe she's excelling at her job. Eye contact and coffee aren't in her job description," Maron reasoned, but his explanations irked me.

I knew it wasn't her job, but she used to bring me coffee, at least when she wasn't angry and ghosting herself from my eyes. Now it's Ronald who brings it, but I could tell it was her who made it. It's never hard for me to decipher her handmade coffee. Whatever she makes taste different compared to others.

As I remained silent, Maron sighed and suggested, "Why don't you ask her directly? If you think she's acting strange, just inquire about what's wrong."

"Yeah, sure. So, I get that 'I was just busy' answer once again?" I commented, sitting upright and reaching for my coat.

Elysia Lawson always does this; she acts like she cares one moment, then distances herself the next moment without any apparent reason. First, she creates havoc in people, only to leave them to sort things out on their own. It's perplexing and frustrating at the same time, and I don't know how much more I can endure before I explode.

As I stood up to leave, Maron urged, "Ares, in the past, you made decisions about Elysia with your heart. Now you're just using your brain. Trust me, once you open your heart to her, you won't be so exhausted."

Open my heart to Elysia Lawson again?

That's not happening...

***************