Chapter 36

Past - 18

Elysia's POV:

I placed my bag to the side and took my seat, eagerly waiting for Ares. In just a few minutes, he entered the library, quietly making his way toward me while typing on his phone.

I immediately sat up straight, adjusted my hair, and checked my overall appearance for what felt like the hundredth time today.

"Hi," I greeted, standing up as he approached.

"Hey, how're you?" He asked, taking a seat beside me.

How was I? My eyes widened in panic, and for a moment, I forgot how to respond when he looked directly at me. I needed to answer, but my mind was racing.

"I'm... I'm Elysia," I blurted out, my eyes widening even more at my own blunder. I panicked, waving my hands awkwardly. "I mean, I'm... I'm good. You?" Ares raised his eyebrows, a small smile playing on his lips, and I felt myself almost melting as I lowered my gaze.

A sudden snicker caught my attention, and I quickly turned my head to Ares, but he wasn't laughing. "I'm good, thanks. Did you practice what we studied last time?" I blinked twice, finally grasping what he had said, and quickly nodded.

"Y-yes, I did," I replied, then reached for my book as Ares retrieved his notes from his bag.

I glanced around the library to see if someone else was present, but I couldn't see anyone else. I thought I heard a snicker, but perhaps I had misheard it.

Shaking my head, I tried to concentrate on my studies as Ares began to explain things to me. I did my best to focus and learn as much as I could in one go, not wanting to disappoint him.

After the explanation, he gave me some questions to solve, and I focused on them. But my eyes couldn't help but sneak glances at him from time to time. I was hyper-aware of his presence, his musky scent in the air, his hands moving on his laptop keyboard, and his focused eyes on the screen.

Without realizing it, I had stopped solving the questions and was staring at him like a maniac. He seemed to have noticed my constant gaze, or perhaps he sensed something was amiss, as his head suddenly turned in my direction. In a lightning-quick move, I shifted my gaze to the library shelves, the walls, tables, and chairs—anything but him.

I was then gently smacked on the head with a pen, making me look at him. "Focus right here, Elysia!" My heart skipped a beat, and a silent gasp escaped my lips as I heard him say my name. It sounded so natural, so perfect!

Regaining my focus, I solved the questions and slid my notebook toward him.

"It's done," I said in a hushed voice, looking down at the table in front of me.

Ares set his laptop aside and began checking my solutions. "Great, you've done everything right, except for these three," he leaned closer, and his addictive scent filled the air. He showed me the solutions and started explaining my mistakes.

'Sorry, God! Sorry, Ares! Please forgive me,' I pleaded in my heart as I glanced at Ares, who was earnestly explaining the solutions I already knew.

He mentioned that we could finish earlier if I continued to learn this quickly, so I had to do something to ensure our two-month period wouldn't be cut short, even if it meant he might think I was a bit slower. At least I would still have a reason to see him...

Time always seemed to fly when I studied with him. Even two hours felt like a mere minute, but I still had to leave. Ares walked me to the bus station, but this time, we weren't as quiet as before.

"So, why did you agree to participate in this competition?" He asked as we walked.

'Because of you,' my heart whispered.