Chapter 65

Elysia's POV:

My whole body tingled with sensation, feeling the warmth of his body against mine. I didn't know how he'd react; this was the first time I let my heart lead my decision on impulse.

This isn't like me...

I'd never taken such a bold step toward someone before, but perhaps, just perhaps... his recent displays of affection had given me the courage to take a chance.

For a few tense moments, he remained still, his body rigid with surprise. Then, slowly, I felt the tension in his muscles ease, but he didn't move away.

My heart raced inside my chest, my nerves practically vibrating with anticipation.

"Ella está aquí. Déjame llamarte de vuelta en un rato," Ares' voice broke the silence, as he spoke to the person over the phone. He ended the call, but still, he didn't speak or move.

(She's here. Let me call you back in a bit.)

I sensed his deep, drawn-out breaths, longer than usual. His hand, which had held the phone, fell to his side, while the other, clutching a cigarette, remained motionless.

There was a heavy silence in the spacious office, punctuated only by the sound of our breathing. Nervously, I bit my lip at the quietness and took a deep breath before speaking.

"T-thank you," I began softly, "A-and sorry." I hurried to add, "Thank you for helping my mom receive the surgery she needed on time." His muscles tensed at my words, and I hastened to clarify, "I-I know it was because you donated to the hospital where your mother receives treatment, but your contribution saved my mom's life." My grip around his waist tightened slightly. "And for that, I'll always be grateful to you, Ares."

Gradually, I felt his tense muscles relax at my words, yet the rapid thumping of his heart echoed in my ears. He remained silent, so I continued.

"And I'm sorry for the other day," I whispered softly, resting my cheek against his back. "I never meant to hurt you..." My lips trembled and a lump formed in my throat as I remembered the look in his eyes on that day.

I felt Ares heaving a long sigh before he gently untangled my arms from around him. A surge of apprehension flooded through me, mingling with other negative emotions.

Was he about to reject my apology?

What would I do then?

Anxiety started to creep within me. I watched as he dropped the cigarette to the floor, extinguishing it under his heel before turning to face me, his imposing figure looming over mine, my heartbeat was ringing loudly inside my ears. My gaze automatically lifted to meet his intense light brown eyes, which seemed to bore into mine with an inscrutable expression, making it difficult to discern his thoughts.

I held my breath, unable to tear my eyes away from him, waiting for any sign of his reaction. As his left hand rose, my eyes followed its movement instinctively.

Ares placed his hand over his chest, tapping it lightly, a faint smirk playing at the corner of his lips. The scent of fresh mint mingled with a hint of smoke washed over me as his warm breath brushed against my face. "My front is also cold," he murmured, his voice low and husky, as he spread his arms wide.

My breath caught in my throat, my mouth hanging open as I blinked at him, utterly stunned.

In a daze, my feet moved of their own accord, drawing me closer to him, almost as if they were under a spell. I allowed him to enfold me in his embrace, and as his smirk softened into a gentle smile, his arms wrapped around me securely.