Chapter 24

Past - 7

Elysia's POV:

I walked towards the classroom, lost in my thoughts. I hadn't even been at Westwood Academy for two weeks, and my life was already chaotic. What happened yesterday in the mall still worried me. I feared Ophelia wouldn't let it go even after our apology. Aubrey and I were too scared, and I had no idea how to resolve it. Fortunately, Esme stepped in to help us.

I didn't understand why she helped us. It was unexpected, but I was grateful nonetheless. Perhaps she wasn't as others described her.

But the thing that occupied my mind the most at the moment was none other than Ares. I couldn't believe he was just trying to return my library card.

I felt my face heating up in embarrassment again. I couldn't believe I was so foolish. It was the first time we talked to each other, if we exclude the one time he helped me years ago. And to think, I actually embarrassed myself in our very first interaction. Could something be more embarrassing than this?

But everything aside, I actually talked to Ares?

The sudden realization made my stomach do weird flips as I recalled our whole interaction. I don't know why it was so hard for me to look into his eyes, but I would cherish everything about him, even if it was embarrassing on my part. I would keep it in my heart forever.

But why did he ask me if we've ever met before?

Could he remember helping me years ago?

My eyebrows furrowed, and uneasiness crept over me. I didn't want him to remember me like that. I didn't want him to pity me because I would never be able to bear it, seeing pity in his eyes for me and for that, I would deny meeting him forever if I had to.

I entered the classroom and greeted Aubrey, who was already sitting in her seat. After placing my bag on my seat, I glanced over at Esme's seat.

She was sitting there idly, staring out of the window as usual, wearing her emotionless expression. She probably felt my gaze on her because she turned her head to look at me.

Her eyes were still cold, devoid of warmth. I smiled regardless and greeted her. She ignored me and continued staring out of the window.

I pursed my lips and sighed, sitting in my seat as Mr. Mitchell entered the class. I couldn't comprehend why Esme avoided people, but she clearly wasn't a bad person. I knew that because she helped us, contradicting her icy demeanor.

The day passed relatively peacefully because we avoided Ophelia's group at all costs.

When it was time to leave for home, I made my way out of the school's main building. I stopped abruptly when I spotted Ophelia and her friends just outside on the grounds.

I immediately retraced my steps and walked back inside the building.

"Why are they outside?" I whispered to myself, closing my eyes and leaning against the wall.

Should I wait for them to leave?

Or should I just sneak out from the other side?

A silent sigh escaped my lips. It had only been a day avoiding them, but it was already exhausting. I quietly made my way out from the backside of the building.

As I reached the corner, my steps abruptly came to a halt and I automatically hid behind the wall on instinct.

Did I see it right? Furrowing my eyebrows, I carefully peeked around the corner to make sure I didn't see it wrong.

My eyes widened when I confirmed Sven leaning against the wall. His hands were in his pockets as usual, and he wasn't wearing the school uniform. He had on a black jacket with black pants.