Chapter 31

Past - 14

Elysia's POV:

"How was your day?" Mom's excited voice echoed as I stepped inside. I looked at her, her wide smile, soft features, and, most importantly, that motherly affection in her eyes.

Automatically, a smile spread across my lips, and I immediately rushed to her, wrapping my arms around her. A soft chuckle escaped her lips as she embraced me back.

She was my biggest blessing from God.

"It was really nice. We went to the amusement park," I informed her. She looked at me, surprised.

"Were you okay?" She asked in a slightly concerned tone.

"Hm-hm! I enjoyed a lot. There weren't many people, and you know, Mom, we even went to the 'haunted house,' and I didn't get scared at all this time. I used the method that Dr. Smith taught me." I enthusiastically shared the highlight of the day.

"Really? My daughter did that?" Mom held my beaming face in her hands, her own smile widening, and a hint of mist in her eyes.

I nodded vigorously, wiping her eyes with my hands. She kissed my forehead, her happiness palpable in her eyes. It really meant a lot for her because it was a sign that my condition was improving.

"Then I need to thank your friend. Did he leave?" Mom asked, glancing towards the door.

I followed her gaze, remembering how Sven left without talking to me, and my smile gradually faded.

"Yes, he did," I answered in a low voice.

"Did something happen?" She asked, immediately noticing the change in my expression.

I turned to face her and decided to tell her everything that happened today. I wanted to hear her advice because I didn't really understand what I did wrong.

"I...I think I have hurt him somehow, Mom," I stated, feeling awful, recalling his expression.

I really didn't know that he would be so affected by my actions, but when he questioned me in the parking lot, I sensed that he wasn't just mad but seemed more hurt. It made me feel really bad that I became the reason for someone's pain, even unintentionally.

We sat in the sitting area of our bakery as I briefed mom on today's incident and looked at her expectantly, hoping for advice like always, to ease my worries and guide me in the right direction.

"Hm, why did you leave him and not greet your other classmates?" Mom inquired.

I lowered my face and placed my hands in my lap, entwining my fingers. "Mom, Sven is a famous guy in our school, and I don't want to be associated with that fame," I explained. I couldn't tell her that I was afraid Ophelia and her group might hate me if they saw me with him. I wanted to finish high school as quietly as possible, without trouble.

"Ely!" Mom stroked my hair softly and explained, "Sometimes in our lives, we don't realize that our unintentional actions end up hurting people."

"I understand your actions, because I know you well. I know why you did what you did there. But he doesn't." She continued.

"They don't know what you've suffered in life, which caused that action. Similarly, you may not know what your friend may have suffered. Every one of us has our own share of burdens and sufferings in life. If people don't share their sufferings, it doesn't mean that they aren't hurting."

"He may have misunderstood your actions of leaving him there. It may be a small unintentional thing for you, but for him, it could mean something different," I lowered my head further upon hearing her words, feeling ashamed of my actions now.