Chapter 4

Ares Simon's POV:

I wanted her out of my office and my life. The mere sight of her brought back memories I buried deep within, memories I wanted to forget. There's no way I am surrounding myself with people related to my past, especially those connected to Aubrey Anderson, because I don't trust anyone around her.

Who knows what this woman is planning or what relation she still has with her?

Seeing her after more than ten years stirred mixed feelings in me. She played a big role in shaping who I am today without even knowing. Just a mere sight of her annoys me, and her pure amber eyes make me want to distance her from this building and send her far away, where I won't have to see her innocent face.

I know it wasn't entirely her fault for everything that happened, but she did play a part, and I can't forget that.

I won't be deceived by her angelic face this time, no matter what! One of the many things I learned in the past years is that looks can be deceiving. An angelic face could be a devil inside...

When she hastily walked past me and moved towards the door to leave, I made up my mind.

"You may go home, you're fired, Elysia Lawson!" I said decisively. Her steps halted, and I noticed her back visibly stiffen, hearing my words.

Without turning around, she nodded and opened the door. I noticed a figure standing right outside my office.

"Oh, Hi! Elysia, are you okay?" I heard Maron's voice, showing genuine concern. She didn't reply and just nodded her head, brushing past him. Maron gave me a pointed glare before going after her. I almost rolled my eyes at his reaction. He always favored her back then, and even now. Well, he is an idiot.

Ignoring them, I picked up the files from the floor and placed them on the small table. I walked towards my desk and sat on the chair, massaging my temples. I knew I didn't do anything wrong but I still felt uncomfortable for an unknown reason.

I noticed a pile of files placed on my desk surface with a typed note on each pile.

"Signature needed!"

"October's monthly activity reports!"

"For review and signature! Recommendations and arguments on the last page."

Brushing my slight uneasiness away, I opened one pile and studied the files. The level of efficiency and effectiveness in her work quite surprised me. Despite everything, I had to admit she was good at what she did.

No one other than Adira had this kind of professionalism without my instructions. It was like she had mastered my behavioral patterns and the type of work I preferred, and to think of, she did it all without even meeting me at work was enough evidence to prove that she was capable of excelling in her job.

For a moment, I felt bad to lose such a competent assistant, but I quickly brushed that thought away.

Suddenly, my office door burst open. "What the hell is wrong with you? Why did you fire her? Do you know how much effort it took for me to convince her to not leave the job?" Maron's pissed off voice echoed in my closed office room.

Arching an eyebrow, I asked sternly, "why did you stop her? Wait a minute! Was it you who hired her?"

"Yes, it was me! Tell me the reason you fired her, huh? I didn't expect the great businessman Ares Simon Knight to be a stuck-up man who can't let go of his past.  Don't tell me she affects you, even now?" He taunted.

I scowled at him, "Are you out of your mind, Lopez? Think for a moment before you open your dumb mouth," I spoke angrily, finding Maron's suggestion impossible to consider. Never in a million years.