Chapter 38

Past - 20

Third Party's POV:

Sven stood outside their campus infirmary, his eyes fixed on Elysia, who sat on the bed inside. She was a blushing mess, sneaking occasional glances at the guy sitting across from her. He looked concerned, and his gaze was locked on the school nurse who was explaining that Elysia had just fainted due to shock and was okay. Ares was in an argument with the nurse, insisting on rechecking her blood pressure and making sure she was genuinely fine.

"There's nothing to worry about. Your friend is perfectly fine," the nurse reassured.

"But she—" Ares began, but Elysia interrupted.

"I-I'm fine, really," she stammered, avoiding eye contact.

"Are you sure? We can go to the hospital if needed," Ares persisted. Elysia quickly shook her head and said, "I'm okay, don't worry, please."

Ares stared at her for a moment before sighing in relief, seemingly accepting that she was indeed okay.

Sven's fists were tightly clenched by his sides as he watched them, lost in a daze. He thought he was only trying to protect her, to be a good friend because he had never really had a true friend before. But how had things taken this turn?

How could he explain the turmoil in his heart?

At first, he had denied the idea, thinking it was absurd when he knew Elysia was in love with Ares, yet he found himself following her around when she was with Ares, secretly keeping an eye on her all the time. The one thing that somewhat put his heart at ease was that their interactions seemed to stay within the bounds of friendship.

As a guy, he had never witnessed Ares making a move on Elysia. They appeared to be simply friends. But he was aware of Elysia's unrequited love for Ares, and he knew that if there was no reciprocation, she would eventually give up, until today.

When he witnessed the accidental kiss between them, he froze, unable to move. A strange fire ignited within his chest, suffocating him. It felt as if the walls were closing in, and he couldn't bear to see them together like that.

At that moment, Sven realized he had fallen for this clumsy, shy, and innocent girl who knew nothing except loving unconditionally, whether it was her family, her friends, or the man she cared for.

He didn't realize when his initial curiosity had grown into genuine interest, and when that interest had evolved into something much deeper; deeper than anything he had ever felt before.

Sven Neve Damaris, the notorious troublemaker of Westwood Academy, the charming heartbreaker who had left countless broken hearts in his wake, the school's nightmare and the rebellious son of the Damaris family, had finally transformed into a sensible person. All of this had happened because of one girl, Elysia Dean Lawson. Yet, she was also the one girl he could never have.

"What have I done?" Sven mumbled to himself, releasing a mocking and bitter snicker. But his eyes, clouded and helpless, were void of any humor, holding only vulnerability and emotions that only Elysia had the power to evoke.

Sven had just realized it. In his attempt to save Elysia from drowning in the endless mirage of unrequited love, he had willingly jumped into the abyss himself.

Sven Neve Damaris had fallen in unrequited love with Elysia Dean Lawson. He had fallen for 'his clumsy head.'

His steps automatically led him away from the infirmary, the school, and everything else as he got on his bike and raced away. Today seemed like after an eternity as he exceeded the safe speed limit. With the distinctive roar of a lifetime, his bike passed through the midst of cars with an overtaking maneuver, taking a sharp turn without a care, as if he could risk it all. Exceeding the speed limit, he rode his bike, so fast that he had never done before today.