Chapter 27

Past - 10

Elysia's POV:

It was Ares...!

"Come, sit, Elysia!" Mr. Mitchell gestured to the seat next to Ares, breaking me out of my trance.

I released a breath I hadn't realized I was holding, my heart still racing from the surprise. Ares shifted his focus back to Mr. Mitchell, seemingly disinterested in my presence. With a pounding heart, I sat down in the seat next to him.

"Elysia, meet Ares Simon Knight. He's the star student of Year 12, your senior, and an ace in all mathematics subjects," Mr. Mitchell introduced, offering a warm smile as he pointed at Ares.

Of course, I knew that. Ares was the reason I had developed a love for mathematics. I wasn't just his self-proclaimed stalker; I had gone to great lengths to learn about his likes, dislikes, hobbies, and everything that made him happy.

But I couldn't possibly say that out loud now, could I? So, I kept my gaze fixed on Mr. Mitchell, not daring to face Ares. However, I had to acknowledge Ares since Mr. Mitchell was introducing us.

Clutching my uniform nervously and trying my best to steady my trembling hands, I turned my head to face Ares.

"N-nice to meet you," I stammered, unable to meet his eyes. I immediately shifted my gaze ahead, expecting Mr. Mitchell to continue.

"Same," came Ares's short and rather chilly reply before he, too, turned his attention back to Mr. Mitchell.

"So, you must be wondering why I called you here," Mr. Mitchell addressed me. I nodded, looking at him expectantly.

"As you both already know, in two months, we have the official competition season starting, and our school always participates in both regional and national academic competitions, including mathematics. I select the students from our school to participate in the mathematics competition," he explained, providing all the necessary details as I listened attentively.

"Now, the issue at hand is that every year, Ares participates in the contest and secures victories for our school. However, this year, we face a dilemma." Mr. Mitchell intertwined his fingers on the table, and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"This year, the school's sports competition and the national academic contest have conflicting dates. Since Ares is a key player on the basketball team, there's a scheduling conflict."

I sat there, trying to piece together how this concerned me. I wasn't involved in sports, and I had never participated in academic contests before.

"In short, Ares won't be able to participate in this year's mathematics competition. So, I've decided that you will represent our school in his place," Mr. Mitchell stated, directing his words at me.

"Me?" I pointed to myself, blinking repeatedly. I was proficient in mathematics, but I had never competed before. Moreover, the idea of contests, crowds, and competition made me anxious.

"Yes, you," Mr. Mitchell confirmed.

"But, sir, I... I've never participated before—" I began to reason, but Mr. Mitchell interrupted me by raising his hand.

"I understand your concern, which is why I called him here," he motioned toward Ares.

My eyes widened, and I glanced between Mr. Mitchell's hand and the person sitting next to me. Ares didn't seem surprised at all; his expression remained neutral as he listened to Mr. Mitchell.

"Ares will be your mentor and guide, helping you understand the rules and prepare for the competition," Mr. Mitchell revealed, dropping the bombshell.

Shocked? That word hardly covered what I felt at that moment. I stared at Ares openly, my lips parted and my mouth agape. After a brief glance in my direction, he returned his attention to Mr. Mitchell.