Chapter 22

Past - 5

Elysia's POV:

The next few days passed in a haze, my anxiety growing like a shadow. I couldn't shake the guilt from bumping into Ares, and it made me avoid him like a ghost. I even altered my routines. I stopped going to the shared courtyard, fearing he might come and confront me. I even abandoned my bicycle, opting for the bus directly to school.

I spotted him several times in the courtyard, searching for someone. I was convinced he was looking for me, but when he didn't find me, he'd quietly return to the other building.

He would eventually confront me once he knew my name and class, things would get complicated. I couldn't shake the feeling that he might resent me for following him without his knowledge.

I sighed heavily, resting my folded arms on the desk and burying my head in them, feeling a huge burden in my chest.

"Someone seems upset today," I heard a familiar voice and looked up to see Aubrey standing in the doorway.

Almost involuntarily, a smile formed on my lips. Amidst all the chaos, she had become a true friend for me with her beautiful and kind nature.

"I'm just tired," I replied with a lazy smile, although my sleepless nights were starting to take a toll on me.

Aubrey took her seat, and it was lunchtime. Over the past few days, I had been having lunch in the classroom, and Aubrey always joined me after her lunch.

"Hmm, how about this? Come with me after school?" she suggested, clapping her hands excitedly.

"Why? Where are we going?" I asked, intrigued but also a bit confused.

"Just come; I'll fill you in later," she said with a mischievous wink and a smile.

My smile widened, and I nodded in agreement. Before I left, I sent a message to my mom, letting her know I'd be home a bit later than usual. My parents were relieved to hear that I was making a friend in this new environment, thanks to Aubrey.

"Oh, by the way, I need your help with my assignment again. I can't seem to get the calculations right," she said, sighing dramatically and pouting at me with her big, round eyes.

I couldn't help but laugh at her cute expressions, agreeing to help her. We spent the rest of the lunch break working on her assignment and going over the calculations.

As the school day ended, I packed my things and left with Aubrey in her car. We made a pitstop at the mall, where she practically dragged me inside.

"Let's do some shopping," she suggested enthusiastically.

"No, really, I don't need anything. You go ahead; I'll keep you company," I replied, grateful for her offer.

"Come on, I want to buy something for you as a thank-you for your help earlier," she insisted.

I shook my head, feeling touched by her kindness. "It's not necessary. Let's find something nice for you instead," I suggested, gently patting her hand, which was wrapped around my arm.

Although I still felt slightly uncomfortable being touched, I was getting used to Aubrey's presence and her friendly gestures.

"Okay," she relented and took me to nearly every store in the mall. We spent hours wandering through shops, purchasing bags, sandals, clothes, accessories, and more.

Afterward, we decided to grab some bubble tea at a cafe. As we admired a beautiful dress on display inside one of the store, Aubrey's excitement was palpable, as she dragged me with her to the store entrance, while holding the bubble tea in our hands.