Chapter 60

Elysia's POV:

I turned the flames on low and covered the pot with a lid. Pulling out the kitchen stool, I sat down, taking a jug from the counter and pouring water into a glass.

Grabbing a pill, I gulped it down with water, placing the glass back on the counter, creating a slight clunking noise.

Blink!

Blink!

I absentmindedly stared at my glass, blinking to clear my head and released a sigh. My mind felt blurry, confused, and exhausting due to the events of the past week. I felt like I was on autopilot this whole time.

It all started with a dissociative episode, the day I saw Ares on my way to the office. I couldn't comprehend why I had such a strong reaction. I wasn't averse to the sight of blood, but seeing him in danger was not something I was ready for. I blamed my missed appointments and medications for that, there's no other reason.

There's no way... But I...

Was I truly capable of causing harm during these episodes?

I shut my eyes, attempting to block the terrifying thoughts emerging within me, but Ares' hands and the image of blood and a knife persisted in my mind.

My breathing quickened, the haunting memories resurfacing like a storm. I pushed them away, shaking my head back and forth.

Taking deep breaths, I forced my eyes open, refusing to close them again.

'How will you protect him now when you're the one he needs protection from?' a voice whispered inside my head, causing me to swallow hard.

'You're bound to him forever now, there's no escape...' I shook my head once more, my hand reaching my ear, subconsciously rubbing the earlobe.

"I like you a lot..." Ares' words echoed in my head, further adding to my confusion.

A shaky breath escaped me as I recalled everything he said today, attempting to push aside the overwhelming thoughts and focus solely on him.

His words...

His eyes...

His sincerity...

His warmth...

I opened my hands, staring at my palms as if I could still feel his warm hands in mine. He refused to let go of my hand throughout the day.

Whether we were engaged in conversation with each other or others, he remained behind me, like a steadfast wall, a protective barrier.

Even in my frenzied state, I couldn't forget his constant presence near me.

I thought it was over, believed I would never see him again. I had made that decision when I left the hospital the other day. Witnessing the injuries I inflicted upon him was my breaking point, my resolve to let him go forever. Signing the marriage papers without a second glance was my last attempt to cage my heart.

Yet...

What happened later left me in shock, utter disbelief...

Mom used to say that marriage is the most beautiful thing because it intensifies your love for your other half.

It was something sacred for me. Throughout my life, Ares was the only man in my thoughts, my head, my heart. However, I never dared to imagine marrying him, even in my dreams. It seemed too impossible, too far-fetched.

So, when Mom broached the subject of marriage, I had no expectations, no hopes, no happiness or doubts. I only knew I would do it for Mom, for Ares Simon Knight was perpetually out of my league, a dream that was impossible.