Chapter 13

Elysia's POV:

Four Years Ago...

I scanned the store shelves for all the items mom had listed. Passing by the snacks shelf, I hesitated, stealing glances at the Pringles.

As much as I wanted, I couldn't take a step forward. Retrieving the list, I grabbed my phone.

Calculating the total cost, I grinned. I'd have some pounds left after buying everything Mom listed. Fully facing the shelf, I grabbed a pack of Pringles and placed it in the basket with a satisfied smile.

As I prepared to move ahead, hurried footsteps and Mom's hushed voice reached my ears.

"Elysia," I turned around, startled by her appearance.

"Mom, what happened? Why did you come? I almost got everything," I reassured her, gesturing to the basket beside me. Her face was as pale as a sheet, beads of sweat visible on her forehead.

She reached me in a rush, taking my hand, her touch icy. "We need to go, Elysia, right now!" Her anxious gaze darted around the store.

"Huh? Why? What's happening?" She pulled me towards the store exit. I glanced back at the groceries still in the basket.

"I'll explain later. Just trust me, sweetheart!" She spoke urgently, glancing around cautiously, almost frightened.

What's happening?

Seeing her so panicked, I nodded obediently, even though confusion gnawed at me. What was it all about?

We hurriedly left the store, and just then I noticed a car pulling up not far from us. A young man emerged, dressed in a classy suit, glancing at the store.

Before I could fully see him, Mom's grip on my wrist tightened.

"Run, sweetheart!" She urged.

What?

"Mom, what's g–" I began to ask.

"Run, Ely!" Mom said sharply as the man noticed us standing outside the store. He seemed taken aback for a moment before making his way towards us.

She tugged my hand, and we started running. Glancing back, I noticed the man stilled for a second before he started running after us.

Facing forward, my heart pounded in my chest, seeing mom's state and panic overtook me.

I heard him shout behind us but mom didn't slow down, quickening her pace. As we reached the end of the street, a waiting cab came into view.

Mom practically shoved me into the car and sat beside me, instructing the driver to go. I peeked out from Mom's side and caught sight of the same man chasing us in a panic state.

"Faster, please!" Mom said, her voice was urgent. The car accelerated, making a roaring sound as it sped out of the streets.

"ELYSIA!" I heard his voice call. My eyes widened staring at him.

He knows my name?!!

"ELYSIA!!!" He yelled, desperation clear in his voice as he chased our cab.

Once we were sufficiently distanced from him, I noticed him stopping on the road, watching our car helplessly. Then he rushed to the other side, attempting to hail a taxi.

He intended to follow us...

I wasn't sure how we managed to lose him, but I'd never seen Mom so terrified. She acted as if being caught would mean our lives.