Chapter 14

Ares Simon's POV:

"Don't apologize. We're in this together. Remember, we're best friends," Elysia's voice reached my ears just as I stepped out, intending to locate her.

We were almost late for the meeting, so I tried calling her, but I didn't expect to hear her conversation.

"Who are you talking to?" I asked, my voice sounding sharper than I meant.

For the past few days, I'd been testing my patience due to her reserved nature. Since the incident at the hospital last week, I had respected her boundaries, her choices. I even bent some of my own rules and allowed her to do work however she wanted it.

Damn, I had even let down my guard around her in the past week and this is what I got in return?

She turned around, her eyes wide with panic written all over her face.

"Who are you talking to, Elysia?" I repeated, clenching my teeth.

"Uh, um, n-no one," she replied, disconnecting her call and slipping her phone into her coat pockets hastily.

She avoided the eye contact and did not answer my question directly.

I glared at her, feeling disappointed. This woman was still in contact with Aubrey after everything that happened.

How could she still be friends with her? I felt really bad since last night hearing what she said. I hated myself for saying those harsh words to her, breaking her heart like that and hurting her with my words.

I wanted to apologize for my behavior in the past. I was even trying to be close to her so I could at least be her friend, and make up for the past but now...?

I had no clue about what these two were up to. What were they plotting? I had been receiving calls from Aubrey almost every day, and here they were, playing all best friend sh*t.

"They're here. We need to go for the meeting now," I informed her in a cold tone, refusing to meet her gaze. I walked toward the dining hall to retrieve my phone.

"Uh, What about breakfast?" She inquired hesitantly, trailing after me.

"I've lost my appetite," I retorted curtly, picking up my phone from the table and turning to leave.

"A-Ares," I halted as I felt a slight tug on my coat sleeve.

Turning around, I saw Elysia hastily releasing my sleeve and clasping her hands together in front of her, fidgeting nervously.

"Are you... are you mad at me?" Her voice wavered as she kept her gaze lowered, clutching her clothes habitually.

I stared at her petite figure and innocent eyes for a moment. Her personal life wasn't my concern. Her friends had nothing to do with me.

Even if she considered Aubrey her friend, it was not my place to question her choices. We weren't close enough to share personal matters with each other. That was the past; it wasn't my concern if she let herself be used as a tool by her supposed best friend.

It wasn't my concern if Aubrey manipulated her and disregarded her after she is done playing her game.

No matter how much I reminded myself that it wasn't my problem, my anger still boiled inside me.

"I think you might be misunderstanding our previous interactions, Miss Lawson but I would like to remind you that we aren't close enough for me to be angry at you and I'd appreciate it if you'd maintain professionalism as well. Now, if you're done wasting time, we can leave. They are waiting for us," I stated, turning away without waiting for her response. I made my way toward the meeting area. The meeting started when we were settled but I was distracted.