Chapter 69

Ares Simon's POV:

Understanding a woman... They say it's one of the hardest things in the world of men.

They might say one thing but feel something entirely different.

Or they could feel deeply but deny those emotions altogether.

You could shower them with expensive gifts, yet the smallest act of sincerity and heart is what truly moves them...

Fascinating, isn't it?

And then there's her...

A smile graced my lips as I thought of the only woman who has proudly held court in my heart, with a crown on her head...

I gazed at the familiar amber eyes staring back at me from my laptop screen. My wife is probably the most fascinating being I have ever laid my eyes on.

How did I get so lucky again?

I reached out, tracing her innocent features on my screen wallpaper. "I wish everything could settle down soon..." I whispered as if she were right in front of me.

I really want to make things right as soon as possible, so I can have her by my side as I wanted... As I needed...

But I can't be careless about this...

Everything requires a plan... If I want Elysia to be where I envision her, everything must proceed smoothly as I intend.

The question is... Will I be able to hold on through the process?

I'm not naturally reckless, yet whenever she appears before me, it's like my brain shuts off and I act on instinct, which used to trouble me before marriage. Now, I find myself struggling to keep control of my actions.

A sigh escaped my lips, and I leaned back on the couch, my laptop resting on my lap. Stretching my legs, I crossed my feet on the table, casting a glance around the room.

Books and files were scattered haphazardly. I reached for one titled "Understanding PTSD" and flipped through its pages once more before turning to another one labeled "Behavioral Patterns and Understanding Trauma."

Similar books and journals lay open on the table and couch. Despite a week of reading and research, I still couldn't grasp what she meant by that...

A Week Ago...

"And why do you want to know about her?" She asked politely, her gaze steady, "I hope you understand the importance of patient's privacy," she added, her tone firm yet cautious.

I crossed my right ankle over my left knee, resting my elbow on the armrest of the chair, facing Dr. Jennifer Holmes.

She sat with her hands intertwined on the table, her expression serious as she assessed me.

"It's because I want to understand her condition better," I replied, my voice steady. "Knowing everything about her would help me a lot," I explained honestly.

Dr. Homes regarded me with a serious expression, clearly unconvinced. "If Elysia wanted you to know, wouldn't she have already discussed it with you, like her past as you mentioned?" she questioned.

I sighed inwardly at her response, frustration bubbling up inside me but my expressions remained composed.

How do I say that Elysia didn't tell me shit. It was me who dug into her past, and now I have delved so deep into her life that there are things which even Elysia doesn't know about herself.

Neither did I know how to tell her those things without affecting her in any sense. Without much thought and clueless about dealing with her, I came here as a last resort, and this doctor was the only person who can help me.