Chapter 3

Elysia's POV:

"So, you applied for the assistant designer job?" he asked while flipping through the pages of my resume.

"Yes, sir. I have attached my designed projects that I had worked on so far for your reference," I nodded and answered politely. He furrowed his eyebrows at me for addressing him professionally again but didn't point it out.

"Elysia, why is your all past experiences and design works are independent contractors and not any work related to corporate sectors? With your qualifications mentioned here, I'm sure you could have made a name for yourself in this designing career." He seemed genuinely confused. I inhaled a deep breath discreetly and straightened my posture.

"There were some personal issues, due to which it was not possible for me to work in a corporate sector, and that's why I chose to work independently," I concluded.

How could I tell him the real reason when even I was not aware of it?

Mom refused to say anything about it except taking a promise from me that I would never work in the corporate sector. Sometimes, the way she acted so secretive was even more confusing, but I knew it was related to the past because that was the only thing which made her act weirdly. If the situation was different, I would never step foot in here and broke my promise to my mother but her condition was serious and nothing is more important to me than saving her life.

He thought for a while and nodded as if after thinking something. "Okay, I understand. The point is, Elysia, that the position you applied for is actually taken," my heart dropped at his statement.

What am I gonna do now?

I really need money for her treatment at the end of this month.

"But of course, your skills are something I wouldn't want to let go. It's an asset for this company, and that's why I would like to offer you a job, but it's a bit different from designing. It's also an assistant job, and you are free to visit the design department and enhance your skills. It's a good opportunity, of course, if you agree to this arrangement," he explained.

Happiness surged within me, hearing his words, and before I could even think of anything else, I already found myself nodding.

"Sure, I would love to work with your company." I already had a year of experience in assistant jobs, and I knew whatever challenge the work would give me, I would definitely be able to take it.

Maron smiled widely and informed me that I could sign the contract tomorrow, to which I agreed. According to him, it would be a year long contract and if I resign before a year is over, I would have to pay penalty.

And that's how I made the biggest mistake of my life. When the next day, I read through the employee contract and the position 'executive assistant' caught my attention, there was no way back anymore. All I could do was to sign the contract, but not after confirming that Ares had gone to the US and it's not confirmed when he would return.

Loving someone from afar, who could never be yours, is painful enough... And after everything that happened in the past, the last thing I want is to see him and go through that same pain once again.

I started my job as an executive assistant the day after signing the contract, and it was nice because Mrs. Richard and Mr. Ronald were quite helpful and nice about explaining my job activities. Although I felt a little uncomfortable with new people at first but their friendly welcome was enough to put me on ease.

The things Mrs. Richard warned me about Ares and his sternness about the work were quite a surprise for me, as the Ares I knew was cold and quiet but never rude without any reason.