18. I'm So Sorry

Irene's POV:

I stepped into the house carefully, not making much sound in case Callum was resting.

But the sound of running water immediately caught my attention. I went to the kitchen, only to find Callum trying to cook.

"What are you doing?" My voice caught him off guard and the glass plate in his hand fell to the floor crashing it into pieces.

Callum looked at me with fear and now I knew where that fear was coming from. "Callum–"

"Sorry" he cut me off, "I'm really sorry. I'll clean it up and even buy you a new plate. Please, I'm sorry" he said.

Water formed in his eyes and I knew he was doing everything he could to keep the tears in. The tears of dread.

I sighed. "Leave it. We need to talk" I told him. This time, he didn't stop the tears from falling down.

"A-are you l-leaving me?" he almost sobbed. "No, I'm not" I said. I couldn't leave him knowing about the consequences he would have to go through if I did.

His tears halted and I saw him take a breath of relief. "Come" I said as I walked to the living room.

Obediently, Callum followed me. Once we both took seats on the couch, I started talking.

"Look, I don't like to beat around the bush, so I'll come to the point. I met Nova" His eyes widened at my statement. "Y-you actually–"

"I told you I would, didn't I?" I said. He looked down but nodded. "Callum" I softened my voice as I stood up from my place and crouched near his feet.

His watery eyes met with mine, and for the first time, I could see the pain in them. He was so hurt, so broken.

His eyes screamed, asking for a hand for support. In fact, the pain in them was so much, I could not stop my own eyes from watering.

"I'm so sorry, I had no idea what you were going through" I said. Callum didn't say a word, just stared at me.

I stood up, now towering over him as I held his chin to make him look up at me.

"I didn't ever try to make our relationship work because I thought you were greedy. I'm so s–"

"Greedy?" he tilted his head to the side, looking like an innocent kitten. Fuck! That's cute. Back to the point Irene!

After mentally cursing myself, I answered his question. "I thought that you were the one getting 10% of the company's profit" I said.

As the news settled in, Callum's eyes widened with realization. "And you thought I was greedy because I asked for more salary!" he stated.

Guiltily, I nodded. "I made assumptions. Wrong assumptions. And look where they have brought us" I said.

The air around us was filled with tension, not a single one of us saying a word. "Please say something" I said. The silence was killing me.

Callum stood up, now standing at the same height as me. "So, you didn't even try to give US a chance, because of assumptions?"

I looked down in shame. "I'm sorry Callum. I judged a book by its cover" I said.

"Do you know what that cost me?" he asked as tears fell from his eyes. "Callum, I really am sorry" I said.

"NO! You have no right to say that!" he shouted. I didn't say anything. He had every right to be mad at me.

"5 years Irene! 5 fucking years! I thought I wasn't good enough. I thought I didn't deserve any love. All because of your stupid ASSUMPTIONS!"

I closed my eyes as guilt and regret took over me. "I tried everything I could to make this relationship work, to make US work" he said.

His voice broke in the end as the hurt in his voice became evident. I looked at him teary eyed.

"Please Callum. I promise I'll give us a chance" I said. He said nothing as the tears continuously fell from his eyes. And then, he broke down.

He fell onto the couch as he put his head in his hands. I immediately hugged him. "I'm sorry" I said to him. What more could I say?

"Y-you sent me back to them because of a-assumptions. But they hurt me so much" he sobbed. A new wave of guilt washed over me.

"I promise, I'll never send you back there" I said. He just cried and gave me no reply. I stood there as support for as long as he needed.

Eventually, his cries turned to sniffles and he pulled away. I crouched down at his feet yet again.

"Do you forgive me?" I asked, my eyes begging him to say yes.

-----------------

Callum's POV:

"Do you forgive me?" she asked. I could see her guilt in her eyes. Irene was not lying when she said she was sorry. I knew that.

But do I forgive her? That's the main question. The answer comes down to everything her assumptions had caused me. And that was a lot.

"I-I don't know" I replied truthfully. Irene sighed, like she was expecting I'd say something like this.

"I understand Callum" she said, "but can you give me a chance?" "Chance?" I asked confused. She nodded.

"Let me prove to you that I can be a good wife and give you the love you deserve" she said. "How?" I asked.

"Let's start over. You don't know me, I don't know you. We've just gotten married and we're trying to work our relationship out" she said.

I thought about the idea for a moment. Starting over would mean that everything that has happened in theses 5 years, would be forgotten.

We'd know nothing about the other (not that we know much right now), and we'd have a chance to explore our relationship.

And this time, everything could go uphill. Plus the fact, that Irene wouldn't leave me, saving me from my family's wrath.

I think this idea would be a win for me in every way. And that's what I told her. "Ok, let's do it" I said.

A small smile tugged on Irene's lips and she looked so beautiful. Then, she stepped back from me and asked me to follow her.

I followed her till the main door of the house and she went outside. "Come, stand here" she said, pointing to the spot beside her.

I did as told. She walked in before me and I just stood there confused.

"Phew! Today was so tiring!" she exclaimed. I looked at her with uncertainty about what she was doing. Then, she turned to me.

"Are you just going to stand there?" she asked. "Irene, what are you–" I was cut off as she pulled me in using my hand.

"God! My husband doesn't speak" she shook her head in disapproval.

That's when it clicked to me. She was recreating our wedding night. She was recreating the moment I stepped into this house.

I faintly remember her asking me if I was going to come in or not. That time, I had stayed quiet and said nothing. And this was exactly what she said.

"Do you even know my name?" she asked me, yet again, repeating a question from the past.

I decided to play along and reply in the way I had replied that night. So I just shyly nodded.

"Do you have a voice?" she asked me. "Yes" I let out in a whisper. She hummed.

"Alright, well I'm sleepy. So goodnight" and just like that, she was gone to her room.

But now, I knew exactly what I had to do the next morning.