43. An Unnamed Parcel

Callum's POV:

As I was exiting the Irene's office, I bumped into the new receptionist; the girl whose name I now know as Melanie.

"Hey Melanie" I greeted her first, not being socially awkward for once. I was in a good mood, and I'm pretty sure y'all know why.

"Hi" she gave me a smile, "Callum right?" she asked. I nodded. "It's nice to meet you" I said.

"Were you the one in ma'am's office?" she asked. My cheeks flushed as I recalled what I was doing when she had knocked on the door.

I cleared my throat to get those images out of my head.

"Yeah. I'm actually Irene's husband" I said. "Oh okay. I knew something was up between you two when she kissed you up on the stage" she said.

I blushed even harder now. Irene and her actions are going to get us in trouble someday. Yet, I'll still follow her footsteps like a lost puppy.

I cannot ever leave her. She cares for me. She loves me. She looks at me with the look I've craved for my entire life.

Irene IS my entire life!

"Um...you had a parcel for her?" I tried to divert the topic. "Oh yeah, I was just going to give it to her" Melanie said.

"I can give it if you want" I offered my help. But she shook her head. "I'm being paid for doing my work. So please let me do it" she gave me a small smile.

I'm already liking this girl. The previous receptionist used to find every single way of skipping work and doing nothing.

And here is Melanie, who is actually trying to do her work.

"Who is it from?" I asked. "It doesn't have a sender's address" Melanie shrugged. No sender name? This is giving me déjà vu.

Melanie said bye to me and left for Irene's cabin. I followed behind her. If this parcel is what I think it is, I want to open it with Irene.

Once Melanie left Irene's cabin, I entered after her. "The package doesn't have a name" I said.

Irene looked at me and then scanned the box. "Do you think...." she trailed off. I nodded. "Open it" I said as I locked the door.

This time, there was note along with a key. "What's this for?" Irene asked in particular to no one. "Read the note" I said.

Irene started reading the note......

I hope you two have figured out where this parcel came from. Your next task is in Harry's house.

The key you see is a master key. It will open any door in Harry's house. I need you two to go to the basement and click pictures of everything you see there.

As you already know, Harry is in an illegal gang. So you will see many things such as guns, drugs, illegal weapons and what not in there. All you need to do, is send us the pics of Harry's basement.

We hope you will be able to do it without much difficulty. We need the pictures before the end of the week.

In return, you will receive the phone number of Irene's mother. We will contact you once you've done our work.

Irene was silent after reading the note. I knew what was going on in her mind. She had been dying to get some contact with her mother.

And now, the opportunity was right in front of us. A phone number. The best way Irene could get back in touch with her mom.

"So when are we doing this?" I asked. I knew by the look on Irene's face that this was not something she would back out from.

"Today is Wednesday, we'll go to dad's place on Friday" she said and I nodded.

Clear determination flashed through her eyes and I knew that it wouldn't be long before we had completed our second task.

"Irene" I said softly as she continued to stand still like a statue. She looked at me. She had water in her eyes.

We both said nothing for a while before I opened my arms, calling her in to hug me. Irene rushed to me and threw herself in my arms.

"You don't understand what this means to me Callum. This is everything I've ever wanted. My mother. I haven't talked to her in 20 years. She still smiles at me in my dreams. She still surrounds me every time I cry. She's always there but she has always been so far away. I don't even know why I'm crying. This is the best thing ever!"

I have no idea what Irene's rambling meant. But what I did know, was that this phone number, was very important to her.

There was no way in hell I would let anything go wrong. This is probably the best thing I can do for her.

I'll show her that I care for her just as much as she does for me. I will do my best to fulfill Irene's deepest wish.

The time has come, for me to prove myself.