21. Lost in Her Eyes

Callum's POV:

I woke up to the annoying sound of a lawn mower. I sat up and rubbed my eyes, annoyed at the sound.

A soft groan sounded from beside me and looked there to find Irene also annoyed by the sound and covering her ears with the pillow.

I mentally chuckled at her cute antics. Out of instinct, my hand went up to her hair. I smoothly stroked it and she also relaxed to my touch.

The sound of the lawn mower just vanished in the background as I looked at my wife.

We had fallen asleep in the tent on the inflatable bed itself last night. I still can't believe last night happened. It was so good.

Everything felt like it came straight out of a dream. I was so nervous whether everything would be good enough or not.

But the moment Irene said she loved it and kissed me, I forgot everything. Her lips on mine felt like heaven.

She had felt so good, so comforting. I never wanted to pull apart. Irene felt like home, the one I wanted, not the one I have.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when Irene groaned loudly. "Callum, stop mowing right now" she mumbled. She was so freaking cute!

A smile formed on my lips as I answered, "It's not me darling." But then, even I started to get annoyed by the sound.

Irene woke up and took the scene around her in. "Who's mowing? It's annoying" she said as she rubbed her eyes.

"Probably our neighbors. But you're right. Who the fuck mows so early...." I looked at my watch, "at– shit!"

"What's wrong?" Irene asked. "It's 9:30!" I exclaimed. All the sleep in Irene's eyes vanished in a second. "What?!" she said, panicked.

I showed her my watch. "Shit Callum! We have a meeting in an hour!" she said as she ran into the house.

Yup, we did. We did have a meeting at 10:30. And it was with clients that were giving us a deal of almost 3 million dollars.

They were specifically travelling from Australia, all the way to America – the other side of the world – for this deal.

I rushed behind Irene into the house and straight to the guestroom's bathroom. I showered the quickest I ever have and went to check up on Irene.

"I don't think you have time for hair" I said as I saw her standing there with wet hair and a hairdryer.

"I can't go looking like this! My hair's a bird's nest!" Irene exclaimed. I sighed. "You're hair's lovely Irene. Trust me, it looks really pretty" I said.

But she just shook her head and continued. I looked at my watch and said, "We have 10 minutes before we HAVE to leave or we'll be late." "Okay, I'll be out soon" she said.

Well, Irene did not come out in 10 minutes. I had to pull her out of the house after 15 minutes.

Her makeup was half done and I told her to do it in the car. Somehow, we managed to reach just in time. As we parked, we saw the clients also parking.

"We don't have time to go inside, they'll see us. Just leave your bag and stand here pretending that we're welcoming them" Irene said.

That did sound like the best thing to do, so I followed along with it. We got out of the car and stood at the entrance with a smile.

As I looked at myself to make sure I looked okay, I also took a glance at Irene. She looked perfect except for – oh no.

Irene had applied her lipstick in the car, and it looked smudged. I just know that she'll die inside if she found out she looked like this while welcoming the clients.