20. Date Night

Callum's POV:

I woke up the next morning, only to find the place beside me on the bed empty. "Irene?" I called as I stepped out of the room.

"In here!" her voice came from the kitchen. I went to the kitchen and saw that she had already prepared breakfast.

"I could have done it" I said. "Yeah, but you did it yesterday. So I thought I should do it today" she smiled. Her smile was so gorgeous.

"Thank you" I said as I sat down at the table. Once again, we striked a conversation and got to know more about each other.

"So, do you want kids?" Irene asked. "Maybe" I said. "What do you mean maybe?" she asked. I sighed.

"You know about my parents Irene. I don't think I know how to be a good parent" I said anxiously. Irene smiled and walked up to me.

"Callum" she cupped my cheeks, "what is it you've always wanted from your parents?" she asked. "Love" I replied. There was no other answer to that question.

"Exactly. And do you know how YOU would realize if they loved you?" she questioned. I nodded and told her my view of love.

"My dad looks at Alyssa and Walter with a certain look - a look of love. I want him to look at me like that. Take me to carnivals, buy me gifts, be present at important events of my life, shower me with kisses and all that stuff. That's how I'd know if he loves me" I said.

"There you go. See? You know how to show love. Whatever you just said, that's all you gotta do for your child. And because you've experienced bad parenting, you're more likely to not perform it" she said.

I took her words in. She was right. Because I knew what was wrong, I would never do that. But could I do what was right?

I asked her that and Irene said, "If one tries, with time, everything can set in place." Her words gave me a ray of hope saying that I might be able to be a good dad.

"Thank you" I said to her, for giving me self confidence. Irene smiled at me and pecked my lips, "You're welcome."

Once again, the feeling of her lips on mine made electric sparks run through me. I had never felt like this. This feeling was so new.

Was this how love felt? I don't know. But whatever it was, it felt so good. We soon finished breakfast and Irene went up to dress up so we could leave for work.

I went to the guest room to change into my work clothes. Once ready, I waited for Irene in the living room.

"Callum!" Irene called for me from her room. "Yes?" I answered. "Can you come up here please?" she said. I headed upstairs to her room.

"What is it?" I asked. She looked me up and down and said, "Nothing, I just wanted to see what you wore."

"Why?" I asked. "So that we could match" Irene pulled out a blue overcoat to match with my blue shirt.

"Let's go" she said and pulled me with her. Okay I guess. By now, I had understood that my wife was unpredictable.

The day at the office passed the same. Yet again, we had lunch together and decided that we'd go on a date tonight.

Irene insisted that she'd pay, but I stuck to splitting all the expenses in half.

For the first time in forever, I got what I wanted. But I had to give puppy eyes for it, not that I mind it.

Irene told me that I was to plan this date and that she'd plan the next one. With that, I was allowed to leave the office one hour before closing time.