57. Mom?

Callum's POV:

The line was ringing. The tension in the room was thick. I felt like my brain had stopped functioning.

We had just now called my mother, and we were waiting for her to pick up. I don't know how to feel.

Should I be excited or nervous? Should I be happy that she is alive or should I be angry that she abandoned me soon after birth?

My mind was lost in all these thoughts when the ringing suddenly stopped. She had picked up.

She didn't say anything but there was heavy breathing that could be heard from the other side.

Irene gave my hand a tight squeeze and that released a lot of tension I didn't even know had built up in me.

"Mother?" I whispered. The word felt so foreign to me. Yes I did call Sandra that. But I never thought the word would have actual meaning in my life.

"Callum" the answer came. For a second, the entire world stopped moving around me. It felt like it was just me and her. But this voice....

"What the fuck?!" Irene exclaimed before I could. This voice was the same feminine voice from the mysterious calls that gave me tingles.

I had been talking to my mother all this time?

"I know you both are shocked, but please give me a chance to explain" the feminine voice, or mom said.

"Explain?" I laughed sarcastically, "you want to explain why you left me with those monsters?" I asked irritated.

Fire was running through my veins. I wanted answers. Answers that could justify my 26 years of suffering. I was fuming with rage.

"Let me talk Callum. I'll tell you why I did what I did" mom said. "Then tell me. Because if I'm not satisfied, I will hate you till the day I die" I replied.

"I love you my child. I love you with everything I have. But I didn't have any other choice when your father decided he wanted to kill me" she said.

"Kill you?" Irene asked. I was a little taken aback by this statement. Dad had always told me how much he loved mom. Then what does she mean kill her?

"Yes, Paul wanted to kill me. The thing is, Walter and Alyssa are not my children." I was not expecting that. "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Sandra, she....she's your step mother Callum, but for Walter and Alyssa, she is their real mother. Paul had an affair going on with her which I did not know about.

Both the times, for your brother and sister, Paul brought them home saying he found them on a roadside. Those kids looked so innocent and helpless to me that I couldn't help but take them in" mom said.

Her words took a while to settle in me. Bring Walter and Alyssa from a roadside? Affair? What is she saying? She continued......

"I gave them the love and care a mother should. I treated them like my own children. Everything was going well until I got pregnant with you" she stopped.

I heard her taking a deep breath before she continued.

"Paul started focusing on Walter and Alyssa more than me. He didn't even give me a reaction when I told him that I was pregnant. I was hurt, but I thought maybe something was up with his work life.

One day, I left work early to come surprise him so we could go for a dinner date. What I wasn't expecting, was to see another woman on my bed fucking MY husband."

I heard a soft sniffle when she said that. Even though she wasn't there for me, hearing her crying was twisting my heart.

"I confronted them immediately and Paul didn't even bother to hide it. He straight up told me that he had an affair and that Walter and Alyssa were the result of it. When I asked why he married me, he said he wanted my money."