Epilogue 🔥

7 Years Later

Callum's POV:

"Stop you little disobedient brats!" I heard Irene shout upstairs, after which there were heavy footsteps coming towards me.

Fiona and Flynn, my 5 year old twins, came and hid behind me, using me as a shield from their mother.

Little did they know, I was just as scared of her as they were.

Irene came running into the kitchen behind them, panting. "Callum, move away" she said. "No daddy! Protect us" Fiona said.

"What's wrong? Why are you chasing them around the house?" I asked. Irene gave me glare for not listening to her but answered me anyways.

"I was trying to put Max to sleep, but these two are insistent on making loud noises even when I told them to stop" she said.

Max, is short for Maxwell – my almost 3 year old son.

"Is that true?" I asked, turning back to Flynn and Fiona. "We just want to play with him a little" Flynn mumbled nervously.

I crouched down and gently took both of their hands in mine. "But it's his nap time right now, correct?" I asked. They both nodded.

"We're not stopping you from playing with him, but right now, he needs to sleep so that he has the energy to play with you" I said.

"So? What are you going to do now?" I asked. Flynn looked like he wanted to argue but one look back at his mother and he shut up.

"We'll keep quiet until it's time for Max to wake up" Fiona said, a little disappointed that she couldn't play with him.

"Good girl" I said and kissed her cheek. "Will you do the same?" I asked Flynn and he nodded. "Good boy" I said and kissed his cheek too.

"Now go, do whatever you want. But no loud noises and no fighting" I said. They both ran out to their room to play.

"You're spoiling them" Irene's voice grabbed my attention. "You don't always need to scold them Irene. Just be soft" I said to her.

She shook her head at me. "Yeah, be soft like you and then our kids are going to end up on the wrong path" she said. I chuckled a little.

"Well, I guess it's fair then. I'll play the good cop and you play the bad cop" I said with a smirk.

Irene gasped and placed a hand on her chest acting as if she was hurt. "You're planning to turn my children against me!" she said dramatically.

I laughed at her antics before the oven beeped telling me that the cupcakes were ready. My smile dropped as I looked at the cupcakes.

I burnt them again.

"They're ruined" I said quietly. Irene walked up to me and kissed my cheek. "But it's the thought that matters" she said and smiled at me.

But I was disappointed in myself. "It's the fifth time I burnt them. I'm not improving" I said sadly.

Irene held my hand and made me look at her. "It's okay Callum. Not everyone is good in everything" she said.

"But the kids love cupcakes so much! Even you do!" I said as water formed in my eyes.

"Shh, it's okay baby. We can order from outside" she said and pulled me into her. "But I wanted to make something special for you all" I sobbed quietly.

Irene chuckled a little which caught my attention. "Are you laughing at my misery?" I asked as I pulled back, slightly annoyed by her.

"No, I'm laughing at irony" she said. I looked at her confused before she decided to explain her thoughts further.