Chapter 30

Mariah | 23

The next morning...

"I'm happy you finally made it!" My dad says to me with a smile on his face standing up pulling out my chair. He opens his arms for a hug and I accepted it.

Finally pulling away, he pulls my chair out for me and I sit.

"It's not like you weren't blowing up my phone begging me to come." I chuckled out looking down at the menu. He went back over to sit back in his spot.

"Stop! I just wanted to spend time with my daughter. Is that a crime?"

"It's just kinda weird how you unexpectedly asking me to spend time with you, why?"

He looked around the restaurant before responding. "I want to get closer to my daughter. Really my family in general."

"Dad, you do realize I'm 23 years old. Why didn't you try when I was younger? You had plenty of time."

He nodded his head looking down at his lap.

"I couldn't be around that much when you were younger. That's why I want to try now. I'm getting older not any younger Mariah,"

I eyed my dads movements about to speak but the waitress came and interfered.

"Hey! My name is Ashley and I will be your waitress today." The lady pulls out her notepad and pencil. "Can I start you guys off with a drink?"

She turned towards me first. "I just want a water please and thank you." She nodded writing it down than turning towards my dad.

"And what about you sir?"

"Let me just get a coffee,"

"Alrighty, are y'all ready to order?"

I responded with a yes and we told her our orders .

She came back with our drinks and walked away again.

"So what's been going on Mariah?"

"Nothing, just doing the best I can do in life." I took a deep breathe thinking about Breah's condition. She still hasn't woken up and it's almost going on two weeks.

He took a sip from his coffee before talking.

"I know it's more to the story because it has you sounding like that. What's wrong?"

"Breah's been in a coma for a while now." I finally let out what I was holding inside.

"What? Since when? What the fuck happened."

"Her man that she was with did that to her and I'm scared she's not gonna wake up."

"That nigga from the NBA right?"

I nodded my head.

"Shit, you want me to step in? Why the hell would he do some shit like that."

"It's fine dad," I shook my head scratching it. "Aubrey already took care of it."

"Oh damn, AG was on it huh?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah, but I told him to chill. I don't want him to get in trouble."

He laughs before responding. "That boy does anything for you."

"Yes, just like I would for him and I appreciate him for that. Are you coming to King's game today?"

King had a basketball game tonight and wanted everyone to come so he can show his skills to us.

"Of course I am, gotta see my son play."