The One (P1)

A/N - this is based off a book I'm reading of the same name.

Warnings - love at first sight

The world had changed. Ever since the "love gene" had been discovered, everything was different. People were finding their perfect match and living happily ever after. I'd always wanted to be in love and be happy. I immediately took the test. It had resulted in Theo. I'd been okay with that, but just okay. I never felt the fireworks, no longing, no wild need. I had come accustomed to feeling unspectacular, but it all changed one day.

Theo was, okay? I didn't even know how I felt about him. He was just okay, the exact medium. I knew I was supposed to be obsessed. I was supposed to be head over heals. I wasn't.

I was at a restaurant alone. My waiter came to me and he dropped everything he held. We stared at one another. His badge said "Timothée". I was astonished at our instant connection. This was exactly what I was supposed to feel with Theo. I felt like he was more beautiful than all the stars in the sky. He was perfect, I felt instant connection to him.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I've just never seen someone so beautiful in my entire life."

"It's okay," I said, and I got on my knees with him, and helped him clean.

"You don't need to help," he waved me away.

"No, I want to," I said.

"Fuck," he said, shaking his head.

"What?" I asked.

"You're treating me like a human," he said. "It's rare in this business."

"I'm sorry," I touched his hand. He stared at our hands.

"Are you matched?" He blurted.

"Y-yes," I said. "Are you?"

"Yes," he said.

"Oh," I said slowly. "C-could I have another waiter?"

"I'm really sorry about all this," he said sorrowfully.

"No, it's not that, I just think you'll be too distracting for me," I chuckled.

"Oh," he said.

I did get another waiter. However, on my receipt was Timothée's cell number.