The Last Pawn

I read it somewhere, if we don't tell our own stories, we will never take control of the narratives.

I never wanted to take control either. I am that side character who blends from time to time. One day the character is remembered because he did something good, one day because he did something bad. Nobody asks why ?

Because nobody wants to read what a side character feels. Nobody cares. .

Just like when a woman of main character came into my father's life. Nobody asked my mother what she felt.

She cried. Nobody came to wipe her tears. She screamed. Nobody listened. She died. Nobody noticed.

She was the pawn of a chess board. Her death never mattered but her presence did.

It did mattered to me. She was my mother. I was her only son - Fazal Jaturaphoom. The last pawn left behind by her.

I smile as I look at the woman's shocked face in front of me. She pretends that she is not but I know she is. I studied her twenty five years. I know her each and every expression.

"I am the last pawn, Martha but not on your side's." I repeat my words to her again to sink in.

She looks at me with complex face. I know she is trying to calculate my involvement in this story. When, why, how ...

But I wouldn't let her have the pleasure to catch me. I will tell the story in detail, in my narrative.

"I started this story, Martha. Of course I waited for years and years to start this story. I am the pawn, my brother is the  king, I just needed the queen to build my chess board.

You know, the most powerful piece of chess - The queen , Beam Barame - the only person who knew you exact face except me.

I just needed one excuse to bring the queen back. One excuse, but there was not any. Until the day you suggested my king to look for his queen. _ The Queen's Crown.

I was not passing by Balanovisk that day when Beam slapped me , nah ....I visited Balanovisk with the intention of bringing Beam back.

It was easy. Just tell Beam's fool of a sister that she is ugly. My brother wouldn't invite her to crowns even if he dies single.. what else, she pretended that I molester her." I brust into laughter.

Martha looks at me like she is seeing ghost. Maybe, I am looking like a ghost now.

"My king announced Queen's crown on your words but deep down he wanted one perticular queen. He was looking for an excuse too, to bring his perticular queen back. And I gave him that reason. You don't know ..how he tried to be upset for me, when his eyes lit up with mention of Beam.

Then what, I knew Persia would never accept that I didn't invite her to Crown. It would be against her pride. So she did, she said that I invited her to crowns and Beam misinterpreted our conversation.

That's how this story started." I take a deep breath.

She looks more composed than before. The knots in her brain coming loose, I guess.

"I thought I will have a smooth way after that. I even saw you getting panicked. Remember asking Forth 'promise me, you will not go back to him'... " I laugh again. "It was funny. Also inviting Sal here, out of no reason."

"But I must appreciate you, I didn't take you poisoning Beam into counts. I was shocked , scared and devasted when Beam went in coma. I was angry. So angry that I could kill.

And with that intent I pushed P'Dee. She confessed she didn't use the proper amount of belladonna which could kill Beam. So Beam will be back within months. Thatw as your first lose, Martha. You couldn't kill Beam but Forth found out about his father's poisoning instead.