A Brother in Heaven

Short chapter sadly 

Short chapter sadly 

Unedited chapter

✎ (❁ᴗ͈ˬᴗ͈) ༉‧ ♡*.✧ ·    . 0:24 ──ㅇ────── 1:59 .   ∞ ₒ ༊*·˚.・゜゜・

A shiver runs down my spine, a feeling of urgency gripping me as if I've forgotten something crucial. Beside me, Garroth is engrossed in watching hula videos on his phone. His attention is drawn to my sudden shift, and he looks at me with a concerned expression. "Everything alright, love?" He lowers his phone, pausing the video, and waits for my response.

Disregarding his question, I find myself gazing out of the window. We're lounging on the couch, waiting for our upcoming hula lessons, intentionally avoiding our friends to steer clear of probing questions. The chill that comes over me catches me off guard, and I'm left pondering why it's affecting me so deeply.

Abruptly, Garroth's voice reverberates in my mind, snapping me out of my trance-like state. I turn towards him, emitting a soft sound as I meet his gaze. Worry is evident in his eyes, his lips slightly downturned. "Did you say something?" I inquire, the unsettling sensation still lingering in the back of my mind.

Garroth reaches into his pocket and retrieves his wallet, a blue one adorned with suns and clouds. He begins to sift through it, finally producing a weathered penny, which he extends towards me. "Penny for your thoughts?" he offers with a grin, the familiarity of the phrase between us evident.

As I accept the penny, a rush of memories floods back. The penny, though aged and tarnished, still bears the initials of our names, one on each side. It's a relic from our childhood, a tradition we upheld well into our teenage years. Whenever one of us invoked the phrase—Penny for your thoughts, along with the exchange of the penny, it meant we were opening up about our concerns, addressing them openly and honestly. Failing to do so meant holding onto the penny until we were ready to share. Nostalgia washes over me, and I can't help but laugh at his playful gesture as I take the coin from him and snuggle in closer.

The coin warms in my hand as I gather my thoughts. "You know, I have this feeling that we should go out somewhere today—anywhere, really. I just have this inkling that we might stumble upon something intriguing," I confess while closing my hand around the coin, a symbolic gesture that reinforces my intention to share my thoughts. I turn to Garroth, who raises a questioning eyebrow.

He chuckles, his blonde hair catching the light. "So, you're suggesting an impromptu adventure before our lessons, huh? I doubt we'll witness pigs sprouting wings, but if you're thinking about a little extra excitement, I'm up for it." He extends his hand to help me up, his smirk hinting at his playful skepticism. As I take his hand, he quips, "Are we talking about a cosmic sign here? Aliens landing in the park, perhaps?"

I roll my eyes in mock exasperation. "No, not quite that extravagant. Just a gut feeling that our friends might bring some unexpected twist into the day." With a kiss pressed against the coin, I return it to Garroth, knowing my outfit lacks pockets. It's a silent affirmation of our connection, and as he tucks the penny away, we share a knowing smile, ready to embrace whatever the day might have in store for us and our friend group.