We'll do it together

── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ─── ── ⋅ ⋅ ⋅ ───

[ Chapter 4, Page 17]

In the woods...  Your POV;

Garroth trudged determinedly through the thickening woods, my body still cradled in his strong arms. The relentless blizzard, which had initially enveloped us in its icy fury, began to relent. The snowflakes descended lazily now, casting an ethereal glow in the dimming light. I clung to Garroth, feeling the warmth of his body seep through the layers of clothing that shielded us from the biting cold. Yet, despite the reprieve in the weather, a palpable tension lingered in the air.

My arms tightened instinctively around Garroth's neck, a reflex born from both the cold and the lingering adrenaline from the recent confrontation. I couldn't shake off the exhaustion that coursed through my veins, a consequence of summoning a protective barrier around Garroth as we fled the lodge. Back there, Ein and our friends remained, oblivious to the brewing storm within our group.

My heart weighed heavily, burdened not just by the close call with Lucinda and Aphmau's dangerous outburst but also by the knowledge that Aaron had plummeted down a cliff, the result of Aphmau's misguided actions driven by love gone awry. 

Though I know that it truly isn't her fault. 

As we traversed the snow-laden landscape, I replayed the chaotic scene in my mind. I had regained consciousness in Zane's arms, the aftermath of taking a hit on the head. Slowly opening my eyes, I found Zane's emotionless mask hovering near my face. His attention, however, was fixed on the unfolding drama among our companions.

A sharp sound cut through the frosty air, and my gaze shifted to witness Ein's hand connecting with Aphmau's face. The impact echoed the turmoil within me. It pained me to witness the discord among friends, the fractures that threatened to widen into irreparable chasms. Yet, I felt powerless, and outnumbered, my abilities constrained by the lingering threat of manipulation.

As the snowflakes continued their gentle descent, I clung tighter to Garroth, seeking solace in the warmth he provided. 

We came to a gradual stop, and Garroth carefully lowered me to the snow-covered ground. My arm remained wrapped around his for support, ensuring our shared struggle against the elements didn't lead to a loss of balance. Garroth, visibly fatigued, took a moment to catch his breath. It was evident that carrying me through the snow-laden woods had taken a toll on him.

"Are you okay, Gar?" I whispered, concern etched across my face. I clung to him, mirroring the stability he had provided me moments ago. His breathing was labored, and his body trembled with exhaustion, his grip on me tightening.

"This can't be happening..." he murmured under his breath, his hand finding its way to his knees. Leaning in closer, I strained to hear his words. "Aaron can't be..."

I held my breath, absorbing the weight of his fear. His eyes shook, not from the cold but from the sheer dread of what might have befallen Aaron.

"A-Aaron can't be dead... right?" Garroth croaked, his gaze fixed on the snowy ground below. Sympathy welled up within me, recognizing the mental torment he must be enduring. Despite the bleak circumstances, I sensed a flicker of hope within him, a desperate desire to find a silver lining.

"Of course not. I'm sure that Aaron will find a way to survive... he wouldn't have just fallen like that, especially not in front of Aphmau..." I reassured him, my voice a soft whisper against the backdrop of the hushed winter woods. I clung to the belief that Aaron had somehow cheated fate, that a miracle had intervened to spare him from an unfortunate end.