Puzzles

In which he pisses her off...

The next morning, I was woken up by Reggie's phone alarm going off. He groans and grabs it off the nightstand, hitting the snooze button and throwing the phone across the room so when it goes off again, he has to get up to get it. He rolls back over, laying on his stomach on top of me, and we both fall back asleep. Ten minutes later, we're woken up again by the alarm going off again, he makes a noise that's somewhere between a groan and a sob, and gets up to turn the thing off.

I get up out of bed with him, throwing the curtains on my window open and letting the morning light filter in. I peer out and look for Archie, he must still be asleep. I walk to my closet, grabbing the spare clothes Reggie leaves here for when he stays the night, and throwing them at him, his letterman jacket that he takes literally everywhere is on my bed. He catches the bundle of clothing and quickly begins changing, I head back to the closet and find something to throw on. I settle on some of the new clothes I bought yesterday and head back out to change. Quickly doing something with my hair, using some makeup to cover the still-visible bruises on my ribs, and throwing some makeup on my face.

 Quickly doing something with my hair, using some makeup to cover the still-visible bruises on my ribs, and throwing some makeup on my face

Reggie climbs out the window and makes his way to the front door, ringing the bell and being let in by my mom. He enters through my bedroom door, a dorky smile on his face, that was his favorite thing to do, he finds it funny how clueless parents can be.

He and I leave, saying a quick goodbye to my parents and I hop in his car. I blast some music and we both make the most of the car ride, knowing that today's going to be rather boring. Boy, was I wrong to think something like that...

We get to school and I hop out of the car, Reggie and I both slamming our doors and making our way inside, we're greeted by the rest of the football team and begin making our way down the hall. I spot Jughead and Archie talking by Archie's locker, Jughead sees us, saying something to Archie, he leaves and goes to walk past us, Reggie shoulder checks him, "Watch it, Wednesday Adams." I laugh at Reggie's protectiveness and we continue down the hallway. We make it to the lounge and I go to the vending machine, taking out some cash and getting s bag of Keebler cookies for Reggie and I to share.

I hear Reggie humming Unholy by Sam Smith and Kim Petras, I sing with him, when we get to the chorus, we both belt out the lyrics, me with my head in his lap, he was braiding bits of my hair as he sang. We get to the girl's part, Reggie stops singing, letting me sing my favorite part by myself.

Mmm Daddy, Daddy,

If you want it, drop the addy,

Give me love, give me Fendi

My Balenciaga Daddy,

You gon need to bag it up

Cause I'm spending on Rodeo,

You can watch me back it up,

I'll be gone in the am,

He get me Prada,

Got me Miu Miu like Rhianna,

He always call me cause I never cause no drama,

And when you want it baby, I know I got you covered,

And when you need it baby just jump under the covers...

Reggie rejoins me in singing when we reach the chorus again, finishing out the song and laughing hysterically as people begin clapping around the room, laughing at us, always singing and being stupid together. Most of them have probably thought we were dating a one point or another. I ignore it when I see Jughead walk into the lounge, seeing me laying on Reggie. He stands in his usual spot, on the outside of everything.

"Hey, what was that one song you were working on? The one about being happy when not with someone?" Reggie asks quietly, obviously wanting me to sing the song I made about Jughead. I smirk, having just finished fine-tuning the song.

(the song is Happier Than Ever by Billie Eilish)

I begin the slow part of the song, my eyes closed, feeling the lyrics flow out of me. I open my eyes and smile as I look at Jughead, getting to the fast part.

I finish the song, glaring at the boy before closing my eyes again, hearing people hoot and a few claps coming from the other people in the room. I smile with my eyes still closed and focus on the feeling of Reggie's fingers weaving my hair into the intricate braids the he somehow knows how to do, I open my eyes and see the soft, proud smile on his face, my smile growing larger, I close my eyes again.

The rest of the school day went fine until gym class rolled around, I still couldn't participate in this class, or cheer, or dance, or a lot of other things that I enjoy for a couple weeks. I give the doctor's note to the teacher and settle in to watch the others do their workouts, confused and envious glances thrown at me from my classmates as I sit on the bleachers, I would've traded places with any of them in a heartbeat.

I watched as Jughead had to do laps for mouthing off to the teacher, switching and watching Archie doing pull ups, then Reggie and Moose doing jumping-jacks. I sigh, already bored, before I feel someone sit down on my left, I look over, my light eyes meeting Jughead's darker blue ones. I roll my eyes, leaning away from the boy and crossing my arms.

"Why aren't you participating?" he asks, his natural curiosity and inability to stay out of other people's business getting on my nerves. "Also, why weren't you in school for a week?"

"I'm not participating for the same reason I was out for a week." I tell him vaguely.

"Why were you out for a week?"

"Why was I out? Well...you know...it was definitely for the same reason I'm not participating." I say, taking a page out of Stiles Stilinski's book.

"So, you're not going to tell me? Really Gwen?" he asks, trying to make me feel bad, instead making me angry.

"I'm sorry, Forsythe, do you see any reason for me to tell you? Last I checked, we aren't a thing anymore. Which, in turn, means its no longer any of your business. Its mine, so stay the fuck out of it. Unless you want me to tell Betty about everything that happened between us and ruin any fucking chance you may or may not have with her." I growl, glaring daggers at the boy.

"If looks could kill, you'd be far more than six feet under, Wednesday." A voice says, I smirk, looking up and seeing Reggie and Moose standing in the walkway behind where Jughead was sitting. Looking angry at Jughead for speaking to me. "I think you should go." He and Moose turn to the side, giving Jughead room to move past them, he does, quickly making his way back to where everyone was doing their assigned workouts.

"Thanks guys." I tell the two, looking gratefully up at them, they smile and head back to the grass, beginning their push-ups. I knew Jughead wouldn't let this go, when he finds a mystery he won't stop until he solves it. At one point, that used to be one of the things that had attracted me to him. Now, it made be fucking furious, we used to solve mysteries together now, he was treating my life like one of his fucking puzzles to put together.