Dress Shopping

I make it home about an hour later, I opened the door quietly, looking around and not seeing anyone, I begin to make my way quietly to the stairs, knowing my mom was probably hiding in the shadows. I was right, before I made it to the stairs, a light clicked on in the living room, my mom was sitting there, waiting for me, she was probably waiting all night by the looks of her.

"Where the hell have you been, young lady?" Mom asks, I wince at the use of 'young lady' I sigh and make my way to the living room, sitting down beside her on the couch. She turns to me, she had obviously been worried, I can see it in her face, that was what made having to lie to her so hard.

"I was sleeping over at Toni's, sorry Mom, I went to the Wyrm last night after I ate with Betty at Pop's because Toni needed to talk to me. We went to her trailer because she wanted to talk privately and ended up losing track of time, my phone was dead so I couldn't let you know that I was gonna stay the night. I'm sorry Mom, I should've called with Toni's phone or something, I wasn't thinking." I tell her, looking down at my hands in my lap as I finished my lie, I hated that I had to lie to my mother, but I knew that I had no choice this time.

Mom sighs heavily, leaning back against the couch, I look up at her, she looks so much older than usual in the dim light that came through the closed curtains of the living room. "You're not mad, are you?" I ask, pleading with her, guilt begins to turn to worry in the moments before she finally answers with another heavy sigh.

"No, I'm not mad, not anymore at least. I was just so worried, you always communicate with me, recently I just feel like you're slipping away from me. Betty too, though she's much worse, both of you are getting so old and growing into adults and I just don't think I'm ready for that. I don't want to lose my babies, not like Polly." My mom's voice breaks halfway through what she was saying and by the end of it, tears were streaming down her face. She hid her face in her hands and I heard her muffled sobs, I quickly threw my arms around her and squeezed as hard as I could, making sure she knows I'm here.

"I know, Mom, I'm sorry I've been distant, there's been so much going on recently and I've just been struggling to keep up. I can't speak for Betty, you should have this conversation with her, but I can say that you will never, no matter what, lose me. I will always be your daughter, I will never leave you. I love you Mom." I tell her as I hold onto her, she turns and cries into my shoulder, her tears soaking my shirt. It only took a few moments before she'd regained her wits and pulled away, giving me a small smile of gratitude.

"Thank you for being such a good daughter, I know I can always count on you. I love you so much Allison." She pulls me into her when she sees my smile and squishes me in her arms, I close my eyes, leaning into her warm body and relaxing. "But you're still grounded, I'll let you text Reggie and Cheryl and whoever else that you won't be able to text or hangout with them for the rest of the week and then I want your phone." She tells me, her stern mom voice coming out even as she sways back and forth with me in her arms. I laugh at this, shaking my head and pushing myself even closer to her, savoring the moment.

"I deserve it, I just don't know whether they'll survive without me for so long, they might start World War III without be there, keeping the peace." I respond, I feel and hear it when she laughs.

"They'll just have to push through, I'm sure the world will survive." She says, laying back on the couch and taking me with her, I fall asleep moments later, when Betty comes down the stairs a half-hour later, finding us both passed out on the couch, she pulls a blanket over us, smiling before quietly making her way out of the house.

"Do I have to go to this stupid dance?" I ask as Betty drags me into yet another store, we've been shopping all day, looking for a dress that I wanted to wear, my feet had begun to feel tired and I was starving. So, basically, I was fucking miserable. Betty ignores me and continues to drag me along, further into the shop and begins looking around. I wander off not long later, beginning to be annoyed by Betty holding up dresses that I found revolting and suggesting I try them on, beginning to get tired of sparing her feelings and not commenting on her horrible taste. Soon enough, I find myself at the very back of the shop, there is a display of dress-dummies with a wide variety of different styles of dresses on, I walk past a few, not giving them a second look, and do a double-take when I nearly pass by the only one that I found to be worth a shit.

 Soon enough, I find myself at the very back of the shop, there is a display of dress-dummies with a wide variety of different styles of dresses on, I walk past a few, not giving them a second look, and do a double-take when I nearly pass by the o...

The dress looked so light and airy as I admired it. The flower print on the tulle of the dress was beautiful, I quickly made my way to the counter to ask the woman about it. "Hey, are the dresses that are on the mannequins in the back just for display or are they for sale?" I ask, keeping my voice light. The woman smiles kindly at me and asks me to lead her to the one I had my eye on. When we reach it, I see her smile grow wider as she looks between me and the dress.

"This will look amazing on you dear." She says as she unzips the dress and hangs it over to me, pointing me in the direction of the dressing room and waiting to see me when I come back out. I thank her and head in, quickly ditching my clothes and carefully pulling the beautiful fabric over my head. I take a second to admire myself in the floor-length mirror before quickly heading back out. I see the woman's face light up when her eyes land on me.

"Oh Honey, you look just fabulous. That color is truly yours." She says before I notice Betty standing off to the side, not looking so impressed.

"I don't know, it's a bit showy, isn't it?" She asks, I scoff, has she ever seen my clothes.

"Betty, every bit of clothing I wear is showy, you just don't want me to look better than you. I'm getting the dress." I smile at the woman who was currently looking distastefully at what Betty was wearing today (her usual girl-next-door wardrobe) and go back into the dressing room to change back into my clothes, smiling to myself at the thought of what FP would look like when he saw me, I know Mom invited FP and Jughead for dinner. I couldn't wait...