Rest

In which she wakes up...

There was a bright light the day I woke up, the pain coursing through me was crippling. I found it hard to breathe. I whimpered, hearing someone moving somewhere around me. My eyes took a few moments to finally adjust to the light of the room. I blinked a couple of times when I could finally see again, there was a blurry figure that was standing at my bedside staring down at me. The person was dressed in black with a hood on, covering their face. It was the guy from the diner, came to finish the job.

His hand was on my shoulder and I heard him say my name in a distorted voice, I tried to shrink away from the man but the pain in my chest made it hard to even think straight. I felt myself begin to panic until I heard a yell from the other side of the room, Archie, he would save me.

I was frozen in place, staring at the hooded man, wondering why Archie wasn't tackling him, when my vision suddenly cleared slightly and I saw that this wasn't a man with a hood.

"Reggie?" I asked, my brain fuzzy and my throat dry.

"Yes, it's me, not the black hood." He tells me, his hand still on my shoulder, I saw that he was wearing a black jacket, but no hood. What the hell was wrong with me? I felt the panic recede slightly and the ice in my veins begin to defrost. I give myself a moment to collect my thoughts before asking any questions, Archie brings me a glass of water and I thank him before chugging the substance.

"Is the baby..." I trail off, not wishing to hear any bad news. Reggie's shoulders relax slightly before he answers.

"She's okay, apparently she's a fighter." She? It was going to be a girl?

"It's a girl?" I ask, my hand subconsciously making its way to my stomach. Both Reggie and Archie smile brightly at me and nod.

"How long was I asleep?" I ask, Reggie and Archie exchange a rather nervous glance, and I begin to take another sip of water when Reggie answers.

"Three weeks..." I choke on the water, hacking and coughing as tears roll down my face and my chest burns. Reggie's eyes widen as he watches, unsure of what to do to help. It takes a few moments, but I'm finally able to recover myself, wheezing and clutching my chest.

"Three...weeks?" I wheeze, I try to sit up properly, but Reggie makes his way to my side, placing his hand on my shoulder to stop me.

"Yes, and you're going to be stuck in here for a while, longer if you don't try to get some rest," Archie says, making his way to stand beside my bed. I glare at the both of them for a moment before sighing and slowly sinking back down into the bed, my whole body aching in protest, I closed my eyes and tried to sleep.

And every time I did I saw him.