Drivin In

In which it happens...

The next couple days passed quickly, its now finally Friday, thank God. Sadly, I'm stuck at the Blue and Gold with Betty, Jughead, and Dilton Doily, of all people. Jughead is currently interrogating Dilton, both Betty and Jughead trying to look intimidating, Dilton keeps glancing at me every couple seconds. I stand slightly off center, far closer to him than I can tell that he's comfortable with. The boy is scared of me, rightfully so, I beat the shit out of him last year for calling me a hooker.

I space out from the conversation until Doily mentions Ms. Grundy's car being at Sweetwater River. My fists clenching as I watch the stupid boy spill his guts to Jughead. I share a look with Jug, both of us knowing where this was eventually going to go and that Betty was rapidly piecing it together as we glanced at each other.

After this, we go to Pop's where Jughead begins talking about the Drive-In closing, I do feel pretty bad for him, but I conceal this, not wanting Jughead to know I gave anything even remotely close to a singular shit about him. As he and Betty speak, I begin noticing things between them, the way he looks at my sister as she talks, the way her eyes travel to his lips as he replies. Things they said that reminded me far too much of how we used to talk. I only felt worse as the conversation progressed, Betty even reaching across the table and taking Jug's hand in hers, that's when I decide its time for me to relocate, not wanting to watch my ex talk with my sister when I know exactly where it was eventually going to go.

"Be right back." I mutter, deciding to go have a chat with Pop Tate about taking the waitress position he'd offered me a couple weeks ago. "Hiya, Pop. Do you happen to have an extra uniform laying around that might be in my size?" I ask, leaning over the counter and watching as his face lights up, the man was one of my favorite people, I knew I was his favorite customer.

"I sure do, glad you could finally join the team, Gwen." He tells me, disappearing into the back and coming out with a uniform for me and setting a date to start working. I turn when I hear the bell ding, groaning when I see Archie, Fred, and Ms. Grundy walk in. I frantically motion for Archie to come to me, giving him the low-down about Betty knowing. He nods, thanking me for warning him, and sitting with his dad and Grundy. Right on que, Betty stands, making her way over to Archie and asking to speak with him outside, she speaks to Archie, Veronica and Jughead joining them, guess the cat's out of the bag, I think as I slowly make my way out of the diner.

Mom pulls up out of nowhere, yelling at Betty to get in the car, she does. I say goodbye to Archie and Veronica, again ignoring Jughead's existence, before joining my mom and my sister in the car. Mom hounds into Betty, who begins asking why its such a problem for her to hangout with Veronica and Archie if I get to hangout with Cheryl, and Veronica, and Jason, and Archie.

"Leave your sister out of this! This about you and your inability to follow rules, Elizabeth!" Mom yells back before I can reply to my sister's comment.

"Mom, she's a Serpent, did you know that? She's not the perfect daughter everyone makes her out to be!" Betty yells back. When Mom doesn't respond, she puts two and two together, finally catching the fuck up. "Oh my God, you knew! And yet you still treat me like I'm the bad daughter!" Betty yells.

"Just because she's a Serpent, doesn't mean she is a bad daughter Elizabeth, maybe you could do with a few lessons from her, she actually cares about her family." Mom replies, Betty's eyes widen as she realizes what Mom was insinuating.