Jailhouse Rock

In which she's numb once again...

"There's a hole in the pocket..." Betty says, mostly to herself.

"So?" Veronica asks, not completely nice, it's late and she seems tired. Betty begins forcing something through the lining as she answers.

"I don't know about you, but when I get a hole in my pocket, I always lose my Chapstick in the lining..." She says, finally forcing the thing back out through the hole, it's a USB. I hold out my laptop that was sitting on the coffee table in Archie's garage, Betty walks over plugs the USB in, and opens the file.

The video begins in a basement, I see Jason tied up to a chair, and the second I see him, I instantly tear up. Then his father appears and I audibly gasp, he says a few words to Jason that go unheard through the thump of my heartbeat in my ears. Then he raises something in his hand, and a gunshot rings out, loud and clear, I instantly break down. Betty slams the laptop closed, cutting the video off right there. I sob openly, my best friend's father was the one who killed him, I'd slept under the same roof as a murderer multiple times in these last months since Jason had died and I didn't even know it.

Two pairs of arms wrap around me, Veronica and Angela both muttering things to calm me down, even as they have tears streaming down their faces.

"Why would he do that?" Veronica asks, the rest of the group.

"At first I thought that it was to conceal the incest thing...but maybe there's something more..." Betty replies, I freeze a moment later, all crying forgotten when I realize the danger Cheryl could be in.

"Fuck, fuck, fucking fuck." I mutter as I try to find my phone, spotting it under the table, I dive for it, bashing my head on the table as I do but ignoring it. "Pick up, pick up, I know you're mad but please motherfucking pick the fuck up." I continue to whisper as my phone rings, tears still slowly making their way down my face and my forehead throbbing.

"Cheryl, Cheryl, thank the fucking Gods. You need to get out of that house, you're in danger. Your dad is the one who killed Jason, we have proof, you just need to get the fuck out of there." I yell, frantically into the phone before Cheryl has the chance to say anything.

"Thank you for telling me." Is all she says before hanging up, I sigh, worried that she will do something stupid. I turn off the phone and look at my friends. "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's get to the fucking station!" I yell, grabbing my jacket and throwing it on before picking up the laptop and running out of the garage, my friends running after me. We run to the station, only stopping for Veronica to remove her heels, Betty calls Sheriff Keller on the way.

"Can I see him, please?" I ask Sheriff Keller when we reach the station, he gives me a confused look but nods, leading me to a door that will take me into the jail where FP is being held. I don't bother trying to make myself look any better than I do, I was just tired, too tired to care anymore.

"Gwen, what the hell are you doing here?" FP asks the second that Tom closes the door, leaving us to talk alone. I study him for a moment, he looks almost the same as he always does, his face a little more scraggly than usual, but still handsome.

"Clearing your name. Well, mostly, you still mopped up the blood of my dead best friend, and hid the body, or...tried to, at least." I say, looking at the bars in front of him, not wanting to meet his eyes. I was angry, that he'd known who killed someone so important to me and he'd never said anything. That he'd shoved my best friend in a fucking freezer like a fucking bag of vegetables, that I was finding it hard to be mad at him even when I was trying to be furious.

"Gwen..." he starts, he seems to struggle with himself for a moment before continuing, "We need to stop seeing each other..." This makes me look at him, his eyes seem to be so much colder than I've ever seen them. I try to study his expression, but he's closed himself off from me, his face lacking any emotion, his body language completely normal.

"No. No, you promised me, you swore that you wouldn't leave me. You told me...you told me you wouldn't..." and just when I think I'm about to drown in the ocean of sadness that I had just been thrown back into, my body has enough, and I break the surface once again, this time to a numbness like I'd never felt before. I look down at my feet for a moment, taking a deep breath to still my racing heart and don my mask once again.

"I guess I should've known better than to believe a Jones."