Did He Hurt You?

He's at dinosaur age...

"So," Fred begins, sitting down next to me on the couch, "You want to talk about it?" he asks. I'd just woken up from a small nap, screaming with tears streaming down my face. He holds out a glass of water to me and I take it, attempting to sort out what I would tell him. I'd had a new nightmare this time.

"I keep seeing the day I got shot, the day we got shot...only...it's different." I begin, trying to find the words to explain the nightmare without telling him enough for him to find out. I place my hand over my small baby bump as I think, still taking small sips of water. "This time there isn't a hood, I can see who is shooting me. it's someone I care about. Someone close to me."

"He stands there, talking to me, explaining why he needed to do it...why it was for the best. And then he raises the gun...and pulls the trigger." I say, a stray tear rolling down my cheek as I stare straight ahead, I take another drink to avoid Fred's gaze.

"Does this man...happen to be FP Jones?" he asks slowly, staring intently at me to gauge my reaction. I choke on my water, coughing and spluttering, very grateful for the narcotic painkillers I'd taken not much earlier as they made coughing much less painful.

"W-what are you talking about?" I ask when I've recovered from the water down my windpipe. He gives me a knowing half-smile that tells me there's no point in trying to hide the truth. "Fuck,"

"Why are you dreaming of FP shooting you...if you two are together." He begins, I begin to think of a reason why I would be dreaming of this when he adds, "Did he...hurt you?" I'm frozen for a moment. Yes, he did hurt me, but it wasn't that horrible to the point I'd be dreaming something like this though, right?

You literally tried to kill yourself afterward, yeah it was fucking bad. Dumb bitch. A rather annoyingly bitchy voice in my head says. I fight the urge to roll my eyes at my own brain scolding me and think about the day FP told me he didn't love me.

"I mean...yeah. But I thought that I was over it." I say, looking down at my hands. "I thought that I forgave him."

"Just because you forgive someone, doesn't mean it stops hurting. Especially when that person hasn't been around much to show that they deserve your forgiveness." Sometimes I can't stand how wise Fred can be. It's simply unfair that he has all this good advice and I have to end every piece of advice I give with 'but, don't at me on that' just in case it goes horribly wrong.

"Your wisdom is unfair," I tell the man, he chuckles, eyes twinkling.

"Live as long as I have, and you'll learn some things." I shake my head and glance at my hands, trying to hide my grin as I reply.

"Sorry, but I don't think I'll ever make it to dinosaur age." He bursts out laughing, I join him, chuckling lightly. We laugh for a few moments, enjoying the small light, in the dark conversation, before we become serious again. "But seriously though," I start, wringing my hands and sighing.

"How am I supposed to live that long when my life seems hellbent on ending early?"

Really small chapter, but I actually kinda like this one, I've been feeling kinda stuck on both of my main stories and I suddenly got hit with a wave of creativity and this is basically me trying to make sense of the random shit that popped into my head. Hope you liked it!!