Cleanin' Out My Closet

I'm sorry mama, I never meant to hurt you, I never meant to make you cry but tonight, I'm cleanin' out my closet...

I stand in front of the mirror in Toni's bathroom, giving myself a silent pep talk. I was going to go over to my mom's house in about five minutes to present her with the emancipation papers and get my stuff, probably going to take Hogeye's offer of a place at the Whyrm.

FP and I had talked at the prison, I wasn't completely sure that I was ready to forgive him yet, but I would at least continue visiting him, maybe try and think my next play out. I stare at myself in the mirror, wondering if I'm up for this, I've never done anything to hurt my mother before, but this was the last straw, I wouldn't be tossed away like garbage. She wants me gone, then so be it. I'll be gone.

"Hey, you ready to go?" Toni asks, barging into the bathroom without knocking, I look at her standing behind me in the mirror, and clench my jaw, trying to look determined, I nod. Toni gives me a small smile and opens her arms to give me a tight hug. "Don't worry, it'll all be over soon, and then you can go back to school and everything."

"Okay, let's blow this popsicle stand." I say, plastering on a determined face and allowing Toni to lead the way out of the house and to FP's truck that we were "borrowing" to move my stuff. I go ahead and drive since Toni doesn't know how to operate a stick-shift and we make it to my old house safely, though there were a couple of close calls due to my slight inability to reach the pedals.

"Do you want a booster seat?" Toni makes a crack at me on the second close call as she clings to the 'oh shit' handle for dear life.

"I'm going to let that one slide because you're stressed, but just remember that you have a girl who's been known to be a bit suicidal operating the car you're currently sitting in, think twice before throwing any more of your kind words out there," I say, grinning at her to let her know I'm completely joking and that I don't really mean it.

"We're gonna die..." is all Toni says after this, after a bit, we pull up to the Cooper residence and I park the truck, my mom's car is in the driveway. Good, she's home. We hop out of the truck and make our way to the door, me clutching the papers in my hands, I know the door is going to be unlocked so I don't bother knocking, I quietly let myself and Toni in as if we owned the place.

My mother is standing in the kitchen with her back turned to us, drinking coffee, I slam the door so she'll hear it and she jumps out of her skin, dropping the mug and whipping around.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I scare you?" I ask, condescendingly, the mug is shattered on the floor and coffee stains my mother's favorite shoes.

"Gwen, what are you doing here," she says, looking around, probably trying to find something to distract me with.

"Didn't your friends at The Sisters tell you I'd escaped?" She leans backward into the counter behind her as I step forward, crossing the entryway and heading to join her in the kitchen.

"They did...I didn't figure you'd come back." She says, does she actually believe I'm here to stay? Damn, she's crazier than I thought.

"I'm not staying," I say, slapping the papers down on the counter. "Sign these, I'm going up to grab my stuff." She eyes the papers as I turn around and stalk back out of the kitchen, motioning for Toni to follow me. We take the steps two at a time when we go up, wanting to make this trip as quick as possible.

When I reach my room, I begin shoving clothes in trash bags, Toni placing the few fragile things I had in a duffle bag she'd brought with us. Once I'm done with clothes, I begin taking things off the walls, collecting my skateboards and posters, and framed photos, we're done in about fifteen minutes, Toni begins making trips out to the truck, I see her throwing my bags in the bed of it.

I look around my room once more, the only thing left is my bed, stripped of its sheets, and a picture of our family standing, smiling at the camera. I grab it off the wall before throwing it at the ground, hard. It hits the ground and the glass shatters, I leave it there to add a bit of drama and salt to the wound. I make my way to the door and give the room one more once-over before turning off the light and closing the door. Thinking that there was only one thing I'd miss once I was gone.

And that was my window facing Archie's.