Chapter 40

"We've been through this Navea, I can't keep sneaking around with you! I almost got killed the last time!" Anna resisted while mopping the floor which didn't need any mopping— I made her seem like she needed to so it wouldn't be suspicious of us b...

"We've been through this Navea, I can't keep sneaking around with you! I almost got killed the last time!" Anna resisted while mopping the floor which didn't need any mopping— I made her seem like she needed to so it wouldn't be suspicious of us being alone together.

"I'm not asking you to sneak around with me, I just need some assistance with someone who knows every nook and cranny in this mansion," I try persuading her.

It's been a week since I've been here, with no contact from anyone outside, including Angelo. I guess he meant it when he said he would give me space.

The thought of him always made my heart race and made me feel like there was something missing in me. Like the part missing was him. But I refused to believe so.

"It's not that simple," She whined before she stopped mopping the floor and looked at me, "Why do you want to do this? Do you want to die that badly?" She asked with a hint of sarcasm in her tone.

Yes, "No. And it's my information that I'm looking for anyway! Not his. So I basically just wanna get what's already mine." I explained.

She groaned, "You can't do this by yourself?"

"Fine. I'll do it myself." I concluded not wanting to talk to her into it anymore. It's not her fault anyway, I knew that she was scared of Angelo and has every reason to be.

She didn't object me or try to stop me.

I look at the clock on top of the dresser, watching it tick as each second passes by and as the sound of the clock ticking lifts each tiny hair from my arms.

Do I need to do this? Yes, yes you do.

My impulsive thoughts battled each other while my body was on the verge of having a panic attack.

That's when I remembered I had a little heart beating inside me— inside my belly. All my panic left my body and my thoughts were just focused on my baby.

"I forgot you were there," I whispered to my baby while looking down on my stomach.

It didn't feel real. Even now, I find it hard to accept that I was carrying a baby. Perhaps it was because I wasn't prepared, or perhaps it was because I've always thought of myself as a cursed baby.

However, I didn't believe that this child was a curse. If anything, I found myself getting comforted by my baby.

I took a deep sigh and looked back at the clock. If I wanted to find the truth I needed to look for it myself, didn't I?

With shaking breaths, I pushed myself up the bed and tip-toed myself to the door.

I rested my hand on the door and leaned in— Pushing my ear against the cold wooden door.

So far I heard nothing. Or maybe I was convincing myself I heard nothing. But I wasn't delusional or anything so I am positive the coast is clear.

I put my hand on the doorknob and took another deep breath before twisting the doorknob and opening it.

I couldn't see anything.

Oh, that's because I was clenching my eyes shut.

"Stupid," My thoughts told me.

Still tip-toeing, I walk to the stairs and make my way downstairs to the living room.

"His office was on the right," I murmured while looking at the huge double doors on the right.

I make my way to the door and rest my hands on the doorknob before slowly twisting.

The creaking sound of the door was loud when I opened it and entered the office. I closed the door abruptly and felt a rush of coldness pass through me.

I shivered and hugged myself with my arms while shrugging my shoulders. I hadn't been in his office for a month so I had forgotten what it looked like.

It was immaculate and well-kept. There was a large rug to keep your feet warm and comfortable, on the right, a tiny glass coffee table, and a couple of chairs facing the fireplace. Above it was a picture, which, based on the man's aged appearance, I assume was that of his father. With two chairs positioned in front of it and a bookshelf reclined on the wall behind it, his massive desk was perfectly positioned in the center of the space.

My cold fingertips brushed the headrest of the chairs as I walked my way to his desk. All the memories of when I had signed that contract came flashing back in a second.

"I shouldn't have signed that contract," I whispered to myself while my hand rested on the desk and my other supporting my head.

However, he threatened to kill my mother, so she was going to die. I had no option.

I bent down and looked over his desk and saw drawers. Drawers were probably the first thing I needed to check if I wanted to find any information.

I make my way to the front of the desk and bend my knees, leveling myself with the desk.

I pulled on the drawer but it wouldn't budge.

"What the heck," I whisper frustrated as I try pulling on the drawer again but still getting the same results.

Why wouldn't it open? I looked closely and saw a keyhole. I pulled myself up and scanned the room. I needed a key, and not just any key, the right key.

I narrowed my eyes at the fireplace when I saw a little box placed on the bottom of the portrait.

I walked over to the fireplace and tried tip-toeing to reach the portrait but my height didn't do me any justice.

I let out a tired groan and fell on my feet when I couldn't reach the portrait. That's when I decided to grab one of the comfy-looking chairs and push it towards the fireplace.

I stood on it and reached the portrait. As I was up close to the portrait that's when I realized that the man in the portrait looked so much like Angelo. It definitely was his Father.

As I was about to grab the portrait, the portrait tilted revealing something behind the wall— A little compartment.

What is that? I ask myself with furrowed brows before putting my hand inside the little compartment. As much as this was disgusting and risky— I was curious.

I wiggled my hand inside but I didn't feel anyt— "Ah!" I shouted as I felt something crawling on my hand.

I tried taking my hand out but it wouldn't come off.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I said frustrated but realized I had to be quiet.

That's when I felt something else other than something crawling but a plastic.

I took the plastic and yanked my hand out of the compartment and stumbled back almost falling out of the chair but quickly stabilized myself.

Phew. Without thinking I took the box that was in the portrait and jumped out of the chair.

As soon as my feet hit the ground I opened the box and saw a key inside. I'm so smart. I make my way toward the desk and put the key inside the keyhole and twist.

It worked. A smile of relief played on my lips and I opened the drawer and the first thing I saw was 'Moreau'

"Moreau," I breathed out while taking the file and tracing it with my fingers.

I needed to find out the truth about my lineage. I don't want any more lies to be told to me.