The Day of Reckoning

The sky was covered in a sickly mustard yellow, raining down droplets of flames that burned the skin like acid

The sky was covered in a sickly mustard yellow, raining down droplets of flames that burned the skin like acid. Three moons appeared and flew across the heavens like birds fleeing the day of reckoning.

Crowds of bony, fleshless souls moaned and groaned filling Ahmali's ears with the unforgettable sounds of the end of time. The souls had hollow deep set eyes with their bones sticking out as if they hadn't eaten in days. Ahmali ran through the crowd using her tiny legs as her saviour of horrors. (Pant, Pant). Her face was covered in sweat that slipped down from her forehead and the heat with her glided down unyielding like waves hurdeling rocks.

The heavens turned a deep set carmine coloring everything on earth in a red hue. Then, amidst the crowds of suffering souls, Ahmali laid her eyes on her once companion.

"Amal?" Ahmali cried as she rushed to her long lost sister grabbing her hands, but as she did Amal's hands started to crumble and turn to sand.

"They're coming for us all" Amal howled, then blood started oozing from her eyes turning the whites in them crimson.

With a scream caught in her throat and sweat on her brow, she bolted upright in bed after the haunting nightmare. Slightly paralysed and eminently disoriented the little Sir stumbled to her father's room slamming the hanging beads to the side, waking up Fillard.

"Baba... (Pant Pant) I saw Amal!" Ahmali panicked as she staggered to her father only to be caught by his embrace.

"Where?! When?!" The preplexed father questioned.

"In my dream! Baba, something terrible is going to happen!" Ahmali cried as her sweat and tears mixed together was making her face as wet as a pool. Fillard tried drying her face with the sleeves of his thobe but her tears kept flowing like the endless ocean.

"Ahmali, maybe it was just a nightmare" Fillard tried comforting only to be met with Ahmali aggressively pushing him away. The look in her eyes, the tightness in her face, this was a decisive moment for Fillard. Balencia's words chanted in his mind and he reminded himself that he couldn't let his flower wither away.

"Okay! Okay! I believe you! Let's get the horses ready and go to the only person who would know what to do. Let's go to Balencia" Fillard assured and that moment might have been the one that saved his daughter from a lifetime of resentment.

The forest lay before Balencia and Rehamal, dark and foreboding. The trees towered above, their branches twisting and gnarled like grasping fingers. A thick carpet of leaves muffled as the caravan drove over them and deeper into the woods.

The air was thick with a scent of decaying leaves and damp earth and Balencia couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched.

"Balencia? What is it?" Rehamal asked as she too grew weary of the sudden rustling of leaves and murmurs from the shadows. Then suddenly, out of the darkness, a group of bandits appeared.