Chapter 51

"It really is weird without Fitz and Keefe here." Biana said, looking around the cafeteria, as if she was expecting Keefe or Fitz to pop up out of nowhere.
"It's weird, especially since I'm now hanging out with you guys." Marella said, looking at everyone at the table.
Tam fiddled with his cape and Dex seemed to shuffle uncomfortably.
"What is Fitz doing anyways?" Sophie asked, looking at Biana and Dex.
"He's planning on becoming an Emissary." Dex said.
"Yeah, Fitz is getting the help of our dad with applying to be one." Biana said.

"What about Keefe?" Marella asked, looking at Tam.
Everyone's eyes went on Tam and Tam let his bangs fall over his face.
"Uh, he's working with Kesler in Slurps and Burps, part time though." Tam said.
"And then Keefe told me he's planning on becoming a Mentor for Foxfire after a few years working with Kesler."
"Keefe? A Mentor?" Biana raised her eyebrows at Tam.
Tam shrugged. 

"Huh, I feel like that could be cool though!" Marella exclaimed.
"I mean, Keefe would be that Mentor who you could just talk to."
"Ugh, but imagine just calling him 'Sir Keefe'." Dex said, scrunching up his face.
Tam snickered. "Hah! He'd get a kick out of that."
"Oh god, he'd feel so powerful." Sophie said, shaking her head.
"Well, hopefully he'll become a Mentor once we've all graduated." Linh said.
"Which isn't very far away for us."

Linh looked at Tam and Tam felt himself tense up.
"Ugh, I don't even know what I want to do..." Tam mumbled, pinching his hand.
"I mean, Keefe always talks about our future as well. Or when I graduate, he's always talking about getting our own place and starting our life together."
"Isn't that a good thing though?" Dex asked.
"Has Fitz spoken to you about your future together?" Tam asked, looking at Dex.
"Well, sometimes." Dex shrugged.
"But he's been busy recently so we haven't spent too much time together."

Tam fiddled with his hands.
"I don't know, it's just...scary." Tam said.
Marella looked at Linh and Linh seemed to frown.
"Tam-" Linh began.
"Ugh, ignore me." Tam shook his head.
"I'm happy with Keefe, I'm...I'm just overthinking things."
Sophie looked at Tam and she furrowed her eyebrows at the male.
Biana sighed softly.

"Alright, well...do we have anything else to talk about?"
"Oh, I noticed some sort of chemistry between two Mentors!"
"Huh? Who?!"

*****

Keefe buttoned up his shirt as he looked at himself in the mirror of his room. He was getting ready for another day of work at Slurps and Burps. So far, he's been doing well. He's only blown up the place once and even then, he managed to clean it up and replace anything that got broken!

Keefe's head perked up as he heard a knock on the door of his room.
"Come in!" Keefe called, expecting Tam came by for a quick talk before going to work.
The door opened and Keefe looked over to see Sophie.
"Oh."
Sophie fiddled with her cape.
"I come in peace." Sophie said, approaching Keefe once she shut the door behind her.
"Uh, yeah I hope so. Make this quick, I can't be late for work." Keefe said, fiddling with the collar of his shirt as he faced Sophie.

Sophie went over to Keefe and she took a deep breath.
"So, I heard that you've been talking to Tam about your future together." Sophie said, looking at Keefe.
Keefe raised an eyebrow at Sophie. "Yeah, so?"
Sophie shrugged.
"I dunno, Tam seems to be uncomfortable with your talks about your future together." Sophie said.
"He seems to be panicking over it and thinking about it a little too much."
Keefe tensed up for a moment and he stared at Sophie.
"What do you mean?" Keefe asked, tilting his head.
Sophie scrunched up her face. "Eh, he just seems...I don't know. When he spoke about it earlier...he didn't look like he was as happy as you seem to be about your future together."
Keefe stood in silence, not sure what to say.
"Look, you need to just...talk to Tam about his thoughts and feelings." Sophie said, staring at Keefe.
"He says he's happy being with you, but maybe you're adding pressure to this, and Tam is probably panicking about mid-terms and finals and finally graduating, so...take it easy."
Keefe looked at Sophie.

"...You're not gonna attempt to ruin our relationship?" Keefe asked.
"God no." Sophie said, shaking her head.
"I've seen the way you and Tam look at each other, and god, you two are so in love."
Keefe felt his cheeks warm and Sophie smiled.
"Talk to him soon, let him know that you don't want to pressure him into anything." Sophie said, playfully punching Keefe's shoulder.
"I think he needs to hear that from you."
Keefe gave Sophie a small smile.
"Thanks, Foster." Keefe said.
"Now I'm gonna be late, uh I'll see you around."
Keefe grabbed his crystal to Mysterium and Sophie hummed, nodding as she got her crystal to go back to Havenfield.
"See you around, Keefe." Sophie said.

Sophie raised her crystal and she light-leapt away. Keefe took a moment and he took a deep breath.
He didn't want Tam to feel pressured into anything, or to be panicking about their future.
But right now, Keefe had to go to work. Then he'd decide how he'd talk to Tam.

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 838