Choosing Us (W.M)

( In this universe everyone is normal)

Wanda slipped through the dark backyard, creeping on quiet feet across the lawn. A light was still on in the pool house, and her heart leapt. She knocked softly before peering inside.

"Ethan?" she called in a loud whisper.

He looked up from his book at her entrance, eyes widening in surprise. "Wanda? What are you doing here?"

She shut the door behind her and hurried over to perch next to him on the small sofa, kicking off her shoes. "I had to see you."

Ethan set aside his book, studying her with an intensity that made her shiver in the best way. "As much as I love a late night visit, your dad will kill me if he finds out you snuck over here." 

Wanda clasped his hand earnestly. "I don't care. I had to talk to you about what happened earlier."

Ethan grimaced and shrugged out of her hold. "Nothing left to talk about. Your father made things crystal clear. His longstanding grudge against my family means you and I can never be."

Emotions choked Wanda's throat at his defeated tone. Her father's unfair hatred of the Starks had been casting a shadow over her relationship with Ethan for months. All because Tony Stark had supposedly swindled half their assets years before she was even born.

"He isn't being rational, Ethan," Wanda implored. "You are nothing like your father used to be. He's changed too. My dad shouldn't judge you for things that aren't your fault."

Ethan ran a weary hand over his face. "Doesn't matter how 'changed' we might be. He's never going to accept a Stark dating his daughter. And it doesn't seem like you're willing to stand up to him over me either."

Wanda flinched, the barb hitting uncomfortably close to home. In truth, she had feared causing irreparable conflict with her father by defying him so openly. But now she realized her hesitation had likely cost her Ethan anyway.

"I'm so sorry I didn't immediately tell him where to shove his archaic feud," Wanda whispered, unshed tears thickening her voice. "You've been nothing but wonderful to me. You didn't deserve me hiding our relationship out of shame or cowardice."

Wanda grasped his hand again, refusing to let him pull away this time. "Please don't give up on me, on us. I love you, only you. I will make this right." 

Ethan stared down at their laced fingers. "I want to believe we can get through this. But your dad threatened to cut you off financially if we're together. And he already tried setting you up with that Vision guy."

"He mentioned Simon too," Wanda said wryly, rolling her eyes. "Doesn't matter. I said no outright. I couldn't stomach being paraded around like some prize mare to be bred."

Ethan huffed in amusement at her vehemence before turning earnest again. "I want to be with you more than anything. But I need to know you'll stand up for this relationship too."

Wanda lifted a hand to his face, tracing his strong jaw tenderly. "From now on, it's you and me against the world," she promised fervently. "Tomorrow I'll tell my father and anyone else who demands it that I intend to spend my life with you, Ethan Stark, consequences be damned."

A smile broke across Ethan's face, so full of love and gratitude it took her breath away. He twined an arm around her waist and pulled her flush against him. "Have I told you lately how amazing you are?" he murmured, warm breath fanning her lips. 

Wanda giggled. "Mmm you can tell me again."

And then he was kissing her, stealing all words from her mind besides more of him. Her last coherent thought was that they would find a way to deal with any objections tomorrow, somehow. But tonight, she fully intended to have her way with the man she loved to distraction. All other troubles could wait.