Sink or Swim (Part 1)

I do not own H2O: Just Add Water or any of the characters.

Chapter 26: Sink or Swim (part 1)

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

As soon as Rikki heard the door close behind her in the hallway, she sighed and turned around to face Zane. "Alright, Zane. What do you –?" She never got to finish her question as Zane sweeps her into a kiss, surprising the hot-tempered blonde. Eventually, she returns it and embraces him in a hug, missing him by her side. Finally, after several moments, they separate from the kiss and look into each other's eyes. Rikki looked up at him with a small smile forming on her face as she finally finished her sentence. "Want?"

Zane chuckled, continuing to hold her close as he smiled down at her. "I wanted to do that since we first got here." "Ah ah ah, you know the rule. Emma and Cleo can't know about us." "You know they're going to find out eventually, right?" Zane questioned her.

Rikki sighed, glancing down before looking back up. "Yes. I know. But not right now they won't. They can't. They just, won't understand." "Maybe they will. But I guess you're right," Zane sighed, looking away and separating from Rikki. Or is that your fear talking?

"So anyway. What did you want?" Rikki asked, plopping her hands to her sides as she looked at him. "Why?" Zane asked, pacing back and forth quietly in the hallway for several minutes. "Why what?" Rikki asked, looking confused. "Why did you save me? You hated me back then. So why?"

Rikki looked away, a hint of redness coming to her face. "I guess, I thought you didn't deserve it. To get hurt I mean. I might've hated your guts back then, but it didn't mean that I wanted you to get hurt," she said, giving him a small smile as she saw him quit pacing and slowly look over at her.

"And also, if I didn't, I never would have seen that other side of you."

"What other side?" Zane said, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. "That night, of the incident. You seemed completely different. Not just because your fears were shown, but you let your walls down.

You showed how much you were hurting on the inside, how you had so many other emotions other than anger. And when we talked at the docks, you didn't act like you were looking down on me, but as if it were a normal conversation. Heart to heart. Completely honest."

The smile grows bigger on her face as Zane slowly starts walking towards her, a smile beginning to form on his face as well, with a hint of a blush. "And when you smiled, it didn't have no wicked intentions behind it. It was genuine, it was good. It was real. You were real. In that short moment, you showed me the real you," Rikki chuckled as she thought about it some more. "That was why I decided to give you a second chance. You let your walls down, and finally let someone in."

Zane wasn't sure what to say, he never heard this side of her before. Never heard this much emotion from her before. He wasn't complaining. He liked it. He liked her. He loved her. And that was the only thing he could think of as he wrapped his arms around her again. Her. This whole other side of him is all because of her. She was good to him, and she made him a good person. Or a better person at least. And he didn't want to lose her.

"I love you," he whispered, leaning his head against the top of hers and she leaned into his chest. He felt her tense up for a moment, probably because she wasn't expecting him to say that, then the tension released as she relaxed and hugged him tighter.

"I love you too," she whispered back. His smile grew wider as he heard those words. It was something he hadn't felt in a while. They stayed like that for several more minutes until Zane decided they should probably head back.