What the Future Holds

I do not own H2O: Just Add Water or any of the characters.

Chapter 74: What the Future Holds

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

The silence was unbearable between them. An awful amount of silence and staring was directed towards the brunette, her heart beating loudly in her ears. And the worst part was she was the one causing it, as her mouth opens but nothing comes out. Cleo hoped it didn't show, doing her best for her face to not show it, but she was panicking on the inside as she pondered Kim's question, the truth of their sudden appearance here begins to unravel.

Are we here because of me? Kim's question echoes in her mind. Really, she should be asking herself that question. While technically, yes, it was Kim's wish that brought them here – along with the help of the full moon – it was Cleo who was the cause behind all this. She couldn't blame her sister for her mistakes, for trying to make a selfish wish, that was Cleo's mistake, for she tried to do the same; but it was more from the both of them: from one wanting to make her wish come true, and one wanting to know the truth. Combined with the mysterious powers of the full moon, it created ... this. A magical way for the truth to come out, ridding them of their fears and worries about their friends and family finding out. Although she will never understand why there were people here they've never met, she was glad to get to know them otherwise.

During her sister's thoughtful silence, Kim grew impatient, her foot tapping against the floor with her arms crossed, a scowl crosses her face as she watches her sister's expression morph from panic to obvious stress. "Cleo? Cleo," Kim called her sister's name, but no response came. "Cleo!" Kim tried once more, this time with a little bit more force backed into it. Cleo snaps out of her dazed panic with a blink and looks at her sister who is obviously annoyed by her silent response. No response at all really. "Am I going to have to repeat myself? Cause you know that I hate repe –." Cleo cuts her off with a shake of her head, her eyes closed. A sigh escapes from her lips as she spoke softly. "No, Kim, you don't."

Cleo takes a deep breath, opening her eyes again, and with a new-found gain of courage from her momentarily stunned silence, she was ready to spill it all. "We aren't here because of you – well, technically –," Cleo spoke slowly, tilting her head as she thought her answer through. However, Kim's expression of confusion with a slight bit of panic shows that she needs to reword it better. Cleo corrects herself with a wave of her hands before Kim could freak out. "I mean, we are here because of your wish. You wished to know the truth. But I don't blame you one bit. It's not your fault we are here ... it's mine," Cleo let out a breath as she admits the truth. The real truth.

It hung there for a second as Kim took it in, her eyes wide and mouth open with shock. She was about to say something when a voice – a different one than the two of them – spoke from behind.

"What?"

Kim looks over Cleo's shoulder as the mermaid herself whips around to find their parents in the doorway, their shock showing. Cleo bit her lip and winced internally. They forgot to close the door. She repressed a sigh seeing their mom was now here in the room with them, and she could feel Kim tense up next to her. Neither wanted the older (ex) Sertori to hear their private conversation. Too late for that now.

The two parents walk further into the room. "How? How is that possible? You used the last of the potion at the café," Don asked, confusion filling his voice. Cleo glances down at the floor as she fiddles with her fingers nervously, the sound of her heartbeat in her ears returning. "Actually, dad ... it wasn't. A-after Lewis called, I put some in another jar, for safekeeping." Bev gasps at the revelation and Kim's eyes widen even more, now understanding where this was leading, but the three family members remain quiet as they let Cleo continue her explanation.