The One That Got Away (Part 2)

I do not own H2O: Just Add Water or any of the characters.

Chapter 69: The One That Got Away (part 2)

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

[Later on, after Charlotte had left, Cleo went straight to one of the café computers to search the school's website to find more information about this so-called fire. With Emma standing by her side, clearly annoyed that Cleo needed to thoroughly check her story all while during her workday.]

Cleo: "A fire destroying all the school records? A little convenient, don't you think?" Raises a skeptical eyebrow, a tone of disbelief.

Emma: has a pained and annoyed expression, hand on her hip. "Not really."

"Well, it's not the first time a fire has happened at a school. It won't be the last either," Max commented.

"The only convenient thing about it is that it destroyed all the records at the end of the school year when finals happen to be," Harrison reminded. "That had to be the reason it happened. It's just too coincidental," Ash applied. Charlotte let out a shaky breath. "Everything okay, Char?" Lewis asked, noticing the way she was acting. Charlotte flinched then tried to calm her features, giving him a small smile. "Oh, yeah. Totally. I'm fine." Lewis frowned but didn't comment on it. Totally fine, he could even hear the sarcasm screaming in his head.

Cleo: looks down at the computer screen, typing in the school website address. "Something like this must be mentioned on the school website." Types it in and the website loads, pulling up the entire school webpage, of events, news, and announcements. Including a certain one that Cleo needed to read.

Emma: "And?"

"It was," Cleo sighed, rolling her eyes as she saw Emma's smug look. "On this week of 'Cleo was wrong,' ..." Rikki amused.

"With something as important as a fire, they're required to inform everyone of the damage and what problems it may cause," Sam stated. "Unfortunately, a constant reminder," Annette sighed, whispering to herself.

Cleo: grimaces and straightens back up after finding the results in defeat. "It's mentioned on the school website."

"Told you," Emma beamed in victory. "We've already been over this. Twice," Cleo scowled. "Yeah, but sometimes it needs to be rubbed in someone's face just a couple more times," Rikki teased.

Emma: reads from the website. The very top of the page shows the school logo and the name, Rosewood Secondary College. "'Work will start in the next few days on the new office block. The old one, which was destroyed by fire earlier this year' –." Gives Cleo a pointed look.

Cleo: rolls her eyes. "Okay, there was a fire." Gestures to the screen. Upon hearing the loud sound of the beaded curtains, they turn toward the door to find Charlotte has returned, walking inside the establishment for another drink, her school bag in hand.

"So, we've heard," Kim said in a deadpanned tone.

"Just your point getting proven wrong even more," Rikki laughed.

"I should've talked to them more. Then maybe I would've realized what they were up to, and could've stopped them when I had the chance," Charlotte whispered to her mother, her whispery tone slightly cracking as she was on the verge of tears. "It's alright, dear. If they figure it out, there's nothing we can do about it now. We can only hope they understand," Annette whispered back, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder. Charlotte put her head on her mother's shoulder, trying to fight back the tears.