Chapter 3 - A test

Wriothesley's POV

 In Neuvillette's defense, most things available in the cafeteria were indeed healthier than the cookies I managed to bribe Sigewinne with.

 He did not take into account, however, that the old ladies behind the counter would run off to find her a large slice of cake five seconds after they saw her.

 Sigh...

 Can my little princess be just a little less cute?

 I decided to eat some sandwiches while Sigewinne devoured that slice of cake that was larger than it had any right to be.

 Meanwhile, I couldn't help but listen in on the conversations around us.

 It was mostly everyday lawyer stuff. Divorce case this, murder trial that.

 It was when Neuvillette's name was mentioned that I started paying more attention.

 "I guess the top floor is still a no-go."

 "Would you dare approach Mr. Neuvillette's office right now? Even Ms. Furina laughed the idea off."

 "I heard his office looks like a battlefield right now."

 "When does it not look like a battlefield? It's just shocking that the reason for this mess is a pro bono case."

 Huh?

 That guy's been up since 3 am working on a case that's pro bono?

 "How is that so surprising, it's another child abuse case. You know he's sensitive when it comes to those."

 "He cares a lot about kids. Surprising considering he's no good when it comes to actually interacting with them."

 Hmm?

 He interacted with Sigewinne just fine though.

 "Hye, Sigewinne. What do you think about Mr. Neuvillette?"

 "The pretty mister? He's nice."

 See?

 Even Sigewinne likes him.

 Though...

 He really is a weirdo.

 He always looks so emotionless and then he goes and acts all nice with a kid.

 Sure, it's better than having him glaring at my kid, but I still don't like him.

 He allowed too many of the people we captured to run free for me to like him.

 Sometimes I feel like I'm just wasting my time.

 But a pro bono, huh?

 I wouldn't have expected it from him.

 Especially not when he's putting so much effort into it.

 "Hey, Dad." Sigewinne spoke up interrupting my thoughts.

 "Yes?"

 "I need to make a poster for a presentation I have tomorrow. Can we go buy a large piece of paper?" She dropped a bomb casually.

 "Tomorrow?"

 "Yep, tomorrow."

 And you bring it up now?!

 "I also need a new set of markers and some other stuff." She added.

 I had the urge to bang my head against the table.

 Today is Sunday damn it!

 Everything closes early if they open at all!

 And you're starting to make that poster today?!