Chapter 57 - Exciting assignment

Wriothesley's POV

 New leads or not, today I picked Sigewinne up on time and we went home after buying a few more school supplies she forgot she needed and some groceries.

 Surprisingly, Neuvillette got home before us.

 He was...

 Uhm...

 He was acting very un-Neuvillette-like.

 While Sigewinne had run upstairs without noticing him, I had gone to the kitchen to put away the groceries. Here I found him sitting at the table, sprawled out over some papers.

 "Troublesome bastard. I'll skin him alive. Did he decide he wasn't a big enough thorn in my side? And that money-hungry fox just has to go and pick a fight now?" He mumbled.

 I knocked on the wall to announce my presence and his whole body straightened in an instant.

 "Wriothesley? Is it so late already?"

 He looked at the clock and groaned again, collecting the papers.

 "We just got home. Something troubling you?"

 He groaned as he put the stray papers into a plastic portfolio and tossed it to the other side of the table with considerable annoyance.

 "Pantalone is threatening to pick a fight with the Beret Society over a conference venue."

 Oh?

 This...

 I feel like this is far more information than a lawyer should be allowed to share.

 It's useful for me even if he doesn't know how much, but won't it get him in trouble?

 My worries were most likely written all over my face as his annoyed scowl soon turned into a small smile.

 "Worry not. I am well aware of how much I can share about my clients. We made arrangements and signed contracts long ago for this." He reassured me.

 Still, how is this fine?

 You are outing the Fatui's movements to someone you know for investigating gang-related activities.

 I didn't quite know how to react to that so instead I tried to change the subject. Looking back at it, this wasn't the right question to go with.

 "So, how was your day?" 

 "It was... tiring, but at least I managed to speak with all three parties involved in this engagement in private and gauge their expectations."

 "Three?"

 "Childe and my brother this morning. Last night with the Tsaritsa. And to think that my conversation with her was the least tiring affair of the three." He sighed. 

 ...

 We really should improve our surveillance of the Fatui. To think that the Tsaritsa left their base and we knew nothing about it.

 But...

 How do I express this to my boss without getting Neuvillette in trouble?

 'Hey Chief! I dreamt that the Tsaritsa slipped through our surveillance. We should increase it.'

 Yeah.

 That isn't happening.

 As for the matter with Beret...

 That little piece of information about the conference venue could be of help in the investigation.

 "Oh, right. Before I forget, I should inform you of something, Wriothesely." Neuvillette spoke up suddenly.