Chapter 77 - A pleasant start to lunch

Author: Creates new character purely to point out the obvious to Wriothesley

Wriothesley: Hmm? Did you say something? I'm afraid I missed it. 😊

~

~

Wriothesley's POV

 Fortunately, we did meet Clynes again after that.

 He is most likely still running around looking for that kid who is long gone by now.

 As I was thinking about my colleague's misfortunes, Neuvillette led me to a little restaurant in a more hidden corner of the mall.

 I had been to this mall over a hundred times and I never knew this place existed.

 How is it still in business with such a location?

 Unaware of my questions, Neuvillette pulled me through the door, revealing a small and cozy setup inside.

 It wasn't fancy like most restaurants these days. The decor was much more muted, making it feel more relaxing.

 Aside from us, the place seemed empty.

 "Auntie Lunere!" Neuvillette shouted suddenly, almost causing me to jump.

 Noticing my reaction, he quickly muttered an apology as an older woman walked out from the back.

 "My, my... If it isn't little Neuvillette. What brings you here, dearest? Hungry or just hiding out- Oh? To think Neuvillette of all people would bring someone along. Hello! My name is Lunere, nice to meet you." She greeted.

 "I'm Wriothesley. Nice to meet you too." I somehow managed to spit out.

 Little... Neuvillette?

 Hiding out?

 I'm starting to think this isn't just a place that makes, as Neuvillette put it, the best consomme in the city.

 I threw Neuvillette a questioning look only to get an awkward laugh in return.

 "So... Wriothesley... This is Auntie Lunere. Her restaurant has been a go-to hideout for most people I'm close to." He explained.

 A 'though I was not planning to share that like that' was left unsaid.

 "By hideout, he means that because I made sure to feed them and keep an eye on them their parents or guardians pretended not to know where they were. And that bunch of little brats pretended not to know that I called their elders the second they ran through that door looking like they were gonna get beaten up for doing something stupid." Auntie Lunere added.

 Another awkward laugh slipped past Neuvillette's lips and I tried to hold back my own.

 Pfft!

 That's cute.

 "P-Putting that matter aside, Auntie Lunere, this is Wriothesley, my-"

 "Boyfriend? Fiance? You wouldn't have gotten married without telling me about it, would you, Neuvillette?" She asked teasingly.

 "Ma-Married?!?! No- That- Auntie- I- No- We're not-"

 "Not married yet?"

 "Married- No... That... No, no, no. We just- We are-" Neuvillette continued to ramble on.

 Apparently, the thought of marriage was enough for the well-known ice-cold lawyer to become a flustered mess.

 "We are friends." I decided to help a bit.