Chapter 38 - From the best to the stupidest

Wriothesley's POV

 I didn't manage to keep Sigewinne inside the car while Neuvillette was inside.

 She just had to get out.

 "Sigewinne, please reign your excitement in a bit."

 You might scare the kid off otherwise.

 But of course my words were pointless.

 As soon as Neuvillette and the boy stepped out the door she ran up to them.

 In a single step, the boy hid behind Neuvillette, sticking his head out from behind him as he looked at Sigewinne like she would pounce on him at any moment.

 To be honest, he probably wasn't all too far off.

 Sigewinne stuck her hand out to him full of excitement and after some hesitation, he reached out and shook her hand.

 Shaking hands somehow turned into him getting dragged over to the car by Sigewinne.

 "This is my dad. He's the best."

 The boy frowned slightly at Sigewinne's words.

 "I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Uncle Neuvillette is clearly the best." He said firmly.

 Uncle Neuvillette?

 I gave the approaching man an amused look and he shook his head.

 "One of the better titles I received over the years." He explained.

 While Neuvillette said this, the two continued to argue over who was the best. I couldn't make out from the conversation in what context they were looking at it.

 But contrary to Neuvillette's expectations, these two most definitely weren't getting along.

 At all.

 Just when it looked like they were going to start fighting, Neuvillette crouched down between them and took their hands. This instantly stopped any and all arguments.

 Damn.

 I want to have power like this too.

 "Kids. Kids, let's take a step back, okay? What are you two even arguing about? Who is the best at what?"

 "The best at parent stuff." They answered at the same time.

 That caused them to turn and from at each other before looking away with a scoff.

 I barely held back a laugh.

 Neuvillette looked at Freminet with a bit of surprise, but eventually just huffed out a small laugh.

 "And you made your decisions how exactly?" He asked the two.

 "Dad is stronger."

 "But Uncle Neuvillette is smarter."

 And that is the most childish reasoning I've ever heard. I suppose they are just children, after all.

 Also...

 I was nice enough not to point out to Sigewinne that Neuvillette's physical strength is not to be trifled with either since he not only carried me up the stairs but also quite easily flipped me over and tossed me onto the bed just this morning.

 Speaking of this morning...

 I'm having a hard time getting the picture of Neuvillette with his shirt off out of my head.

 And I only saw it for a split second before he put it back on for the rest of the conversation. It should not have made such a lasting image.

 Get it together Wriothesley. You are 29, not 16.